ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is an Organized Efficient Start Menu the Holy Grail of Daily Computing?

<< < (7/7)

Armando:
I can't find any use for my start menu. I only keep it around in the rare cases where i can't remember the name of the app i'm looking for.
-jgpaiva (June 18, 2007, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same thing here.

I am handicapped when it comes to the popular FARR: I have a visual oriented memory and cannot remember many program names. At least not when I want to use the program in mind! But I remember the exact location of the shortcut, and the look of the folder's icon! -Curt (June 18, 2007, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is one reason that makes the start Menu, even nowadays, an "important" interface (although I generally navigate to/in the Program Files folder instead…) for many people — and, as somebody else mentionned, it’s still a standard: il you happen to work on a “foreign” computer, and you don't have all your favorite portable apps on a thumbdrive, the start menu is always handy…

Before I knew FARR I did categorize my startmenu like SYSTEM, GAMES, Graphics...

But today I just use FARR as my first choice. the order of my startmenu doesn't interest me anymore.
Thanks to FARR  :Thmbsup:
-masu (June 18, 2007, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. (And before Farr, back in 2003, I was using the address bar as a launchbar, manually entering all the links in my favorites... I was such a visionary  :D)

In my case, the only useful startmenu shortcut is… the shortcut to FARR.  :)
Just in case.

Interesting thought: farr could be categorized as a "start menu disorganizer".
 -jgpaiva (June 18, 2007, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

My start menu is always sorted alphabetically — simple, easy to remember. I don’t like to change anything there because uninstallation routines will usually leave stuff behind when I move shotcuts around (and I generally install all software in the suggested folder — easy, fast…). It’s just a pure waist of time.

Sometimes I'll visit the startmenu, and see what I’ve installed and forget to test (A.D.D.?) (the “glowing” programs in the list… Most links to installed softwares are there. But then, when I really want to delve in the depth, like I said…I open "program files"). And then… I’ll sort the list and do something more interesting.

mouser:
This thread was normally locked because of overlap with this thread:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8950

But i've unlocked it now so feel free to reply.

Armando:
This thread was normally locked because of overlap with this thread:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8950

But i've unlocked it now so feel free to reply.
-mouser (July 10, 2007, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oups... Sorry.
Mouser, why did you unlock it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version