ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

Boxer Text Editor

<< < (3/9) > >>

AbteriX:
Boxer does write lots of settings to the registry;-Boxer Software (June 17, 2007, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Any change that Boxer let the Registry alone in one of the next releases?
Would be nice if Boxer would store ALL its settings into an INI (XML) file!

Advantage 1: I have all my settings with me
Advantage 2: I don't "mess" the Registry of other PCs i came along

Many developers goes this way..... that's nice and very handy.

Boxer Software:
>> Any [chance] that Boxer let the Registry alone in one of the next releases?

Yes, I've been getting more and more requests for this, and it's something I've got pretty high on the todo list.

allen:
SOrry if you read this before this edit--I didn't realize so many post had gone by, missed some.

I first discovered persistent selections in The Bat and after a brief learning curve, I've found myself unable to work without them.

Long story short, selections persist.  Once selected, moving the cursor will not unselect the text.  Neither will typing, etc. -- regardless of where the cursor is, the selection persists.  Typically, ctrl+delete will delete the selection.  There are a few big advantages to this.  The most immediately obvious is the fact that you won't lose your selection while moving throughout the document looking for something else.  Some other great features then become possible--particularly the ability to duplicate the selection or move it with a single shortcut.  You can also edit the selected text without it become unselected--deleting or adding chars to it, etc.

Some of the behavior simply removes steps from standard cut or copy and paste actions while others simply save time by eliminating the need to select and select again the same text.  Being so used to this manner of handling selected text, I find myself more often than not inadvertently overwriting blocks of text big and small forgetting I need to unselect them before getting to work.

It's frequent that while working with code, I'll select a snippet I'll be reusing, go to work, and possibly many lines down duplicating it rather than having to go up and find it.  One simple keystroke, rather than having to worry about clipboard items or text snippets/libraries etc.

f0dder:
Phar Lap - now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Dos extender, right?

I remember using Boxer a bit under DOS, wasn't all bad. I mostly used the "rawhide" IDE, though, since it mimicked the Borland IDE I was used to from my pascal years. Ah, the old days :)

allen:
So, I decided to give it a download.  I've run into a couple things I'm curious about--

1. Is there anyway to tell it to quit opening windows maximized?  Sure, I can configure a shortcut to restore the newly opened window, but I'm so lazy I'm asking if there is a bunch of code to prevent me from pushing two buttons :)

2. Is it possible to save settings without closing Boxer?  I'd just spent an hour or better manually copying over ftp accounts, text libraries, and custom tools.  While inputting the last tool, boxer closed without the courtesy of an error message.  To my chagrin, all of the aforementioned input was gone. No ftp sites, no user tools, unsaved documents gone.  If it makes a difference, the tool in question had a pretty big command line parameter. and no name yet filled in. That may have been the difference between it and prior tool input.

So day 1 is a mixed bag :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version