ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

Boxer Text Editor

<< < (2/9) > >>

Darwin:
Yes - agreed! I really enjoyed reading that, very interesting. And welcome to donationcoder, David!

1990 286/25mhz, 4MB RAM no HDD. $800 - my first computer. Abterix, I would have killed for your computer in 1994, let alone 1991...

allen:
Boxer has some amazing features--especially given its small size--and I
find myself quite tempted to give it a look.  It being a true MDI and
not just tab-based really tantalizes me . . . but I suspect it'd be short lived.  I find myself unable to
function without persistent selections -- a feature I've only been able
to find in a very precious few applications. I don't suppose that's an
option in boxer is it? --also, how is boxer for portability? Is it 100%
reg reliant or are settings saved to a file?

Boxer Software:
Hi Allen,

>> I find myself unable to function without persistent selections -- a feature I've only been able to find in a very precious few applications. I don't suppose that's an option in boxer is it?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "persistent selections," but Boxer might have what you're looking for.  On the Block menu, there's a command called Select Without Shift.  Once activated, the (unshifted) arrows keys and other cursor motion commands can all be used to extend the selection.  Maybe that's what you're referring to?

>> also, how is boxer for portability? Is it 100% reg reliant or are settings saved to a file?

Boxer has reasonable defaults built-in so, worst case, you can drop just the B.EXE file (ie, w/o installing) on a new machine and be able to edit, with just a couple of complaint dialogs appearing on startup.  It also runs happily from a USB stick.  Boxer does write lots of settings to the registry; it's very thoughtful when it comes to remembering all manner of previous choices, colors, sizes, locations, etc.  If you need to move to a new machine, there's a Help topic called "Transferring Preferences" that details the steps.  Some of Boxer's settings are saved to disk files, namely keyboard layouts, templates, syntax information, etc.  That makes it easy for users to share such files.

Best,

David.

Boxer Software:
I meant to mention, in that CPU Magazine interview, "Phar Lap" was improperly transcribed as "far left."  :)

AbteriX:
I meant to mention, in that CPU Magazine interview, "Phar Lap" was improperly transcribed as "far left."  :)

-Boxer Software (June 17, 2007, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ahhhh, thanks. That explains smtg,  :-\  i was a little bit helpless  with "far left"   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version