ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The GIMP/PhotoFiltre/Paint.net/etc., thoughts...

<< < (3/14) > >>

Darwin:
There truly is no Photoshop equal, but how many people REALLY need Photoshop, let alone its equal? I barely scratch the surface of PhotoFiltre and PaintShop Pro in terms of utilizing their features sets and doubt that most casual home user's do either. PaintShop Pro is overkill for me, Photoshop even more so. Not that I'm suggesting that everyone here is a casual user (I'm the Perry Como of digital photography software use, so may be "beyond" casual... Anyone who grew up in NA during the early to mid 70's will get the reference... or not, it's one of those days).

Hirudin:
you're using vista arent you? maybe it's not ready yet ...

PS which version did you try?
-tomos (June 14, 2007, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, Vista (64 bit). That possibility goes through my mind with every program I use that doesn't work. As I recall it didn't say it was vista compatible anywhere, but I figured I'd give it a shot...

I was using The GIMP 2.2.15 and GTK+ 2.10.11. I think I would have just lived with the weird behavior if it would zoom like I expect. Maybe version 2.4..?

zridling:
Darwin nails it — if you're not a pro or a graphics wiz, Photoshop is a serious luxury in your case. And Vista x64 is a mixed bag. Most programs work fine, but a LOT of my old XP programs have something a little wrong with them. Often, the problem starts right with installation. And the apps I want to be 64-bit aren't written yet — file managers and text editors, specifically.

Carol Haynes:
Argh... that didn't take long. 1 bad freeze, numerous odd behaviors, and for the frigging love of god: for some reason when you zoom with the mouse it doesn't zoom toward the cursor!

Looks like PhotoFiltre is next...
-Hirudin (June 14, 2007, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
you're using vista arent you? maybe it's not ready yet ...

PS which version did you try?
-tomos (June 14, 2007, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am using XP and the three times I ran GIMPshop it crashed! Doesn't look like a Vista issue.

If you don't want PhotoShop then Paintshop Pro is a good alternative.

If you want something dead simple to fix red-eye etc. howabout ACDSee Editor ?

Hirudin:
Yeah, I might end up with PSP... I've used it quite a bit, I do like the UI!

PhotoFiltre is pretty cool so far! There's a couple aspects of it I do not find intuitive (like the reversed zoom), and at least one thing I haven't been able to figure out (alpha channel in the background). But for €25 (which I think is about... $34) it seems like a pretty great program! Next thing you're going to tell me is it's got a lifetime license... (I couldn't find how they handle upgrade pricing, do any of you know?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version