ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The GIMP/PhotoFiltre/Paint.net/etc., thoughts...

<< < (10/14) > >>

Curt:
Hmmm, guys; you talk about Photoshop and Gimp, but does not mention their child: GIMPshop?!!
Gimp a la Photoshop: http://gimpshopdotnet.blogspot.com/

http://gimpshopdotnet.blogspot.com/

Hirudin:
Thanks for the pic Curt! I wondered if it would have a parent window with toolbars pallets (instead of 3 separate windows that they use for some ungodly reason in normal The GIMP).

Having everything in one window does appeal to me, but personally, I hate Photoshop's UI so anything that emulates it immediately looses points in my book.

@zridling, PFS(?) 9 is one I actually tried. It does indeed seem like a very nice program, and the price is hard to beat, but to me it also feels a little unfinished. Maybe unfinished isn't the right word... I can't put my finger on it. I guess the options menu was a big disappointment for me, it kinda gives the impression of "hey, here's the program, take it or leave it". I'm unfortunately leaving it. I will check out the copyright feature before my trial expires though!

Curt:
Photoshop is very good, and very expensive.

GIMP is also very good, but the learning curve is huge compared to Photoshop

Paint.NET I executed once and never looked back - because I didn't have time :)
-mitzevo (June 18, 2007, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Allow me to rewrite your post:

* Rolls Royce is good and expensive

* Ferrari is good and expensive

* Polski FIAT? I never looked back.
Please forgive me, mitzevo, but I think you have been unfair. Paint.NET is an excellent paint program, compared to MS Paint. Paint is the program to compare Paint.NET with, not Photoshop and The Gimp.

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm, guys; you talk about Photoshop and Gimp, but does not mention their child: GIMPshop?!!
Gimp a la Photoshop: http://gimpshopdotnet.blogspot.com/
-Curt (June 25, 2007, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you look at the top of this thread GIMPShop was mentioned fairly early on (you have to go back to page 1).

Trouble is it is supposed to work like PaintShop but it just doesn't!! It has a superficial similarity but that is as far as it goes. I think if you want to use GIMP then you may as well use GIMP rather than GIMPshop as there is going to be a learning curve whichever you use - and if you are a Photoshop user looking for something to use at home then GIMPShop is more confusing than helpful (IMHO).

The other advantage of GIMP over GIMPShop is that you will have much quicker access to new releases.

Jimdoria:
Plus stability. I have never gotten GIMPshop to run successfully, but GIMP runs just fine.

I wondered if it would have a parent window with pallets (instead of 3 separate windows that they use for some ungodly reason in normal The GIMP).
--- End quote ---

Hirudin, I guess you are not a MAC user! :D I think GIMP was initially intended to be a Linux clone of the Mac version of Photoshop, and when it jumped the fence to Windows, it brought its Mac-style UI with it. Unlike in the Windows world, not everything is contained inside of a top-level window on the Mac.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version