ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The GIMP/PhotoFiltre/Paint.net/etc., thoughts...

(1/14) > >>

Hirudin:
Before I begin, I used the DC search to find instances of "Gimp" in thread subject lines, none were found to my surprise.

Well, I'm swearing off PhotoShop. I hate Adobe and I hate all their programs. Not to mention the planned obsolescence (new model every year even if they've made very little changes), the insane prices, or Adobe's fondness of proprietary file formats.

I've tried The GIMP before, but I think I dismissed it pretty quickly. At the time the "FauxtoShop" interface was the first (big) nail in it's coffin for me. Well, I'm trying it again. I've made 1 whole image, and I think I'm going to start using it as my primary photo editor.

Anyone know of any other free graphics apps that are actually pretty powerful? For instance, I gave Paint.net an honest try, but it's severely lacking in features ATM.

Are any of y'all using The GIMP exclusively? Any tips for a casual user?

Here's an awesome feature that I don't think I've seen in other programs...

I wonder what other gems it's got...

Carol Haynes:
Well, I'm swearing off PhotoShop. I hate Adobe and I hate all their programs. Not to mention the planned obsolescence (new model every year even if they've made very little changes), the insane prices, or Adobe's fondness of proprietary file formats.
-Hirudin (June 14, 2007, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bit harsh ... yes they do come out with new versions regularly but they generally do include a lot of new features asked for by users and are well written and stable applications aimed squarely at the professional graphics market (hence the price) though they do consumer level versions at competitive prices.

I have used Photoshop 6, 7 and CS2 - I don't upgrade every year but the jump from PS 6 to CS2 is quite large in terms of new features etc. I haven't tried CS3 yet and will probably skip a year.

Proprietary formats ??? As far as I can tell Photoshop supports just about every format out there (both reading and writing). True it uses PSD formats for its own native files - but what format would you suggest that can store all the editing information?

I've tried The GIMP before, but I think I dismissed it pretty quickly.

--- End quote ---

That was pretty much my reaction when I tried it on both Windows and Linux. IMHO it makes PS look easy to use.

If you want a freebie why not give PhotFiltre a try.

Hirudin:
You're right about the formats... I was thinking PSD, but I guess they need to make a format that will hold all the special info PS needs... I guess I was thinking about the times I've tried to open PSDs with other programs. I think I'll go strike that comment from the record...

I think I took a look at PhotoFiltre, I thought I saw that it doesn't have layer support, a function I use constantly.
...Later
Oh I see, Version 9 is shareware (a very reasonable €25), version 6 is freeware. The Shareware version has layer functionality...
If the GIMP fails me it'll be at the top of my list.

tomos:
Havent used Gimp at all myself but
there is a version called Gimpshop inspired by interface of you know what

is there even a portable version of the Gimp??
Yes http://portableapps.com/apps but its not the GipmShop one ...

zridling:
Carol, check out GIMPShop as a transitional app, because it shares the exact same menus and toolbars as Photoshop. Also, here are some Gimp Tutorials, most of them pretty fundamental tasks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version