topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Application Running and Notification Tool  (Read 4418 times)

jpar5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Application Running and Notification Tool
« on: June 13, 2007, 09:51 AM »
Do you know of any software that will do the following:

2.  Monitor an application or internal web address to make sure it is active, and report to the user if it is not?  I have a video surveillance piece of software running on a remote PC with a web interface to it (or I can remote desktop into the machine).  I need to make sure the surveillance software is running.  The software won't run as a service (as far as I know), so if the machine reboots due to power outage, etc. it can be days before I realize the system hasn't launched the software and hasn't been recording.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Application Running and Notification Tool
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Run any application as a service. Perhaps you can then use the options that allow you to restart the service when it crashes or is not running etc with logging capabilities.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:12 AM »
more info here on running programs as service..

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:48 PM »
Is there some reason it will not work in the startup folder?  In other words, once the software starts, do you have to do something (such as push a record button)?  If it starts running once it starts up, you can just add an exe shortcut to the startup folder and it will go.  If you need your machine to login automatically (in WinXP for example), you can do that with TweakUI.  Once you login, the startup folder runs any and all programs listed.

jpar5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 12:57 PM »
The problem was that it would not login automatically and therefore would not start (it does start automatically once you login).  I had forgotten about TweakUI - great idea!!!  That will definately solve my problem.  Thanks for ringing my bell a little.  In the words of Homer - Doh!!

jpar5