ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Trouble saving aliases

(1/2) > >>

JennyB:
Thisis not exactly a FaRR bug, but it is a retrograde step. I run XP as a limited user whenever possible, and Inow find that in this mode there is no way for me to save any aliases I create.   >:( Also, addnote does not work for limited users.

mouser:
ok, looks like i need to make sure farr uses a custom user alias in docs+settings dir where user can write to it.

JennyB:
I think my problem was that I installed it from the admin account. This shuuld work all right for programs that are designed for multiple users, but it causes some surprising errors. Safari crashes every time I try to save a bookmark, fex, and UltraExplorer throws up error messages but remains stable.

The workaround seems to be to uninstall completely, delete all the folders, set the limited account temporarily to admin, reinstall it there, and then set the account back to limited.  :-[

mouser:
I'm still unsure why farr wasnt working in this case..  It has code to check if it can write into the configuration directory and recreate the user alias in documents and settings if it can't, so i don't know why it wasn't doing that..

rjbull:
I installed FARR as a limited user, and things seem to work OK.

But...  the core1.alias file is read-only.  I'd like to change some parts of it, if only to change paths, because as a limited user I can't write into certain directories.  Does that mean I have to edit the XML file?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version