ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you think of PCTools' Spyware Doctor?

<< < (7/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
That post on Shitware made me laugh ;D
-Lashiec (August 17, 2007, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes he was restrained wasn't he ... glad you feel better ;)

I have just given up on WebRoot Spyware. I have been a happy user of it for a few years and it gets good reviews however recently it has caused real problems on my system with no obvious way to configure different behaviour. First it seems to block some network activity that cut me off from my network storage centre and then the last update decided to change registry permission to the point that my whole system was playing silly buggers. I uninstalled it and not only are the system annoyances cured but it feels like a new machine - gone are the valium days and (at least for now) so has SpySweeper. Shame really - maybe I'll give it another go in a few weeks when it has been updated again.

In the meantime I still have an active Spyware Doctor subscription so maybe I will try the new version.

PhilB66:
Well, about those security software options, you can use SpywareBlaster, SpyBot and Spyware Terminator combined to achieve maximum protection about ActiveX threats on IE, but ONLY in IE. With Opera and Firefox you must rely on realtime scanners, or use another of the options offered in form of extensions or plugins. But then again, they're more resistant to those attacks (but not watertight, of course).

-Lashiec (August 17, 2007, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Lashiec
Good stuff. I would add Comodo BOClean to the mix.

BTW, Spybot offers "Permanent Opera Immunity"

MacPeter:
Hi,

I'd add  SSM and Counterspy.

Lashiec:
Thanks for the tip, PhilB66! I overlooked that option, which provides protection about bad plugins in Opera. They should add one for Firefox as well, they had a list of questionable extensions for it at MozillaZine.

Darwin:
Just an update - I got a no-hassle refund on the upgrade to Ad-Aware 2007 so no harm, no foul from Lavasoft (though people do seem to be complaining elsewhere about their support/inattentiveness to refund requests, but no complaints from me!).  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version