topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: suggestion: taming processes depending on other processes existence / priority  (Read 6928 times)

5ht2a

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey Mouser,

Thanks for my favorite applications.

Since I have enough RAM I usually dont close firefox and other apps when I give myself a break from work and put in some game time. So I would open process explorer and set FF priority to idle along with a couple of other processes.

It would be such a nice addition to process tamer to do this automatically. It could be implemented many ways, and I can easily see how tough would be the best solution to work out, but even a simple extension of the rows at the configuration tab would make the difference.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
this has been asked for in various forms, and one straightforward solution might simply be to let users switch easily between configuration files.

then you could make one config file for playing games, and one for normal use, and maybe have a menu in tray to switch between them.

do you think this would be a good solution to do what you are asking?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is my two cents from a user standpoint that would be ideal...Set a way to mark certain files that force all other processes to idle and when those processes open, everything changes automatically.  When they shut down, the processes return to normal.  To handle conflicts of multiple files that force other processes to normal, you could just follow the window focus.  The program in focus would force all other processes idle. 

Don't know anything about the difficulty of making that happen, but identifying a program (process or processes related to the program) should be easy enough for the user, and the programming handling the rest is the way programs should work IMO.

That said, your solution would be a good one if my suggestion is not possible, or as a stop-gap while figuring out the details and programming it into the next version.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 10:41 PM by steeladept »

5ht2a

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser, I didnt think about that. Looks like a good solution. The logical next step would be to let users set various key processes as automatic triggers for specific "process priority configurations" (config files). Quite like what steeladept has advised but instead of setting every processes to idle (which could be catastrophic in case the of cooperating processes, bandwich shaping tools, firewalls or hamachi) let users to design their own config files.

The problem is when we have more than one key process working at the same time. The simplest solution might be that every time a new key process appears it overrides the previous configuration. I think it's more than a sufficient solution. Superimposing priority classes or increasing the priority of the focused process on top of that would be kind of like mind modelling which would lead us straigh into the domain of consciousness.  :o ;D