ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The great defrag shootout

<< < (2/10) > >>

edbro:
It is interesting that the one he likes the best, JKDefrag, is freeware. That's what I like to see.

I have PerfectDisk8 on my machine but I might try JkDefrag just because of the price and the GPL license.

Carol Haynes:
I'm running PerfectDisk on my own machine and am quite curious about how it will fare. I'm guessing that it's not going to do that well - middle of the pack, anyway. Bets anyone?
-Darwin (June 11, 2007, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perfect Disc 8 Pro seems to be his 'permanently installed' defragger. There isn't a separate review that I can see but he uses it as a benchmark and for good all round reliability - and doing what it says it does he seems happy. The only criticism seem to be:

* Doesn't seem to fully defrag the MFT (and can't reduce it's size)
* Doesn't automatically organise free space 100% effectively
* Leaves some files fragmented and sometimes splits a file around a fixed file.
The first and last are the most irritating to my mind - and I have noticed the third one on drives with large files. You can force better consolidation of free space but you can cook and eat a five course banquet while it does it!

edbro:
I'm running PerfectDisk on my own machine and am quite curious about how it will fare. I'm guessing that it's not going to do that well - middle of the pack, anyway. Bets anyone?
-Darwin (June 11, 2007, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perfect Disc 8 Pro seems to be his 'permanently installed' defragger. There isn't a separate review that I can see but he uses it as a benchmark and for good all round reliability - and doing what it says it does he seems happy. The only criticism seem to be:

* Doesn't seem to fully defrag the MFT (and can't reduce it's size)
* Doesn't automatically organise free space 100% effectively
* Leaves some files fragmented and sometimes splits a file around a fixed file.
The first and last are the most irritating to my mind - and I have noticed the third one on drives with large files. You can force better consolidation of free space but you can cook and eat a five course banquet while it does it!
-Carol Haynes (June 11, 2007, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
What he says on his downloads page is:
I am using JKDefrag a lot more than PerfectDisk, because it's free, quick and thorough. It has replaced PD in the batch file that does a complete defrag of my entire hard drive.
--- End quote ---
http://www.openaccess.co.za/BlackAndWhiteInc/freebies.htm

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - I didn't look at the download page because I figured I would stick with Perfect Disk.

The trouble with using more than one tool is that they all have different ideas on disk layout and importance of certain files so each time you run one and then the other they spend time reorganising each other's work.

Personally I think that once you have found a setup you are happy with it is probably best to stick with it - or move wholesale to a new system.

Darwin:
Personally I think that once you have found a setup you are happy with it is probably best to stick with it - or move wholesale to a new system.
--- End quote ---

Sage advice - I'm curious about how PD does, but won't be rushing to implement the "winning" app. In many ways, a lot of this comes down to user preference. I'm happy with PD on my notebook and DK on my wife's... And so it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version