ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The great defrag shootout

<< < (9/10) > >>

MerleOne:
I've been using that Puran Defrag that someone mentioned, its a good little defrag tool, and according to perfect disks analysis of my drives, it does a better job than perfectdisk at defragging, and the optimization and so on seems to be on a par.  Doesnt have a fancy gui or anything, but works and works musch faster than perfect disk for me.  http://www.puransoftware.com/

Edit - pd8 pro,  i havent updated/graded whatever
-Grorgy (January 25, 2008, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I strongly support this.  PuranDefrag also has a powerful command line option which makes it possible to add some features not available from the GUI, like defrag only +  optimize dir (without filling gaps).

2007-01-26 update : they have just issued V4.5 that add a basic file mapping display, showing before and after defrag.  Also some other improvements for boot-time defrag according to the release notes.

Curt:
After having tested almost all of these defraggers 'you' have mentioned, I have settled with Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2, Advanced Registry Doctor Pro and SysInternals PageDefrag.

bugis:
and I'm finding the new processes that run in the background to facilitate AutoPilot (which now defrags on the fly): PD91Agent, PD01Scanner, and PD91Engine quite resource hungry. I have left AutoPilot enabled for now, but note that it rendered my computer unusable this morning during an optimization run (invoked while I was away from the computer).
-Darwin (January 25, 2008, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

What were the hardware specs of your test system if I may ask? 

Also, when you say 'unusable', do you mean -a crash, or just that the program was leeching all the resources?

Darwin:
Hi bugis - first, I haven't changed a thing in the last few days and have had no further problems, so it *may* have been an isolated "event". My computer (1.4Ghz single core Centrino notebook with 2GB 266 Mhz RAM and 120 GB 5400 rpm HD) was unusable because PD was leeching all the resources and I managed to recover from it gracefully (well... I'll never be accused of being graceful - my computer recovered gracefully  ;D).

Armando:
Darwin : have you uses the free JKDefrag in the past (with the great JKDefrag GUI -- with scheduler, etc.) ? I know I've mentionned it before, but I love JKDefrag. It's simple, free and open source. I'm not a heavy defragmenter though (1- I'm lazy and don't like to have to many useless processes running in the background, 2- I found that it disturbed my backup-imaging process, especially incremental images with True Image).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version