ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Making the switch-02: Which Linux distro to choose?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Gothi[c]:
Of course, if you have to open a terminal to get something installed this quickly becomes far more complex than a casual computer user will be able to deal with. However, this is just a learning curve as I imagine that the first time one opens a CMD console in Windows to be pretty daunting too
-Darwin (June 10, 2007, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I recently guided a 70 year old buddy of mine, who is trying to switch from Windows through a more complex installation process over the command line, after which he made the comment:

"All this linux stuff 'LOOKS' complicated, but once you start getting some grokking of it, it really makes sense."

Renegade:
(1) DistroWatch Top Ten
-zridling (June 08, 2007, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

From that page regarding Ubuntu:

Other special features of Ubuntu include an installable live CD, creative artwork and desktop themes, migration assistant for Windows users, support for the latest technologies, such as 3D desktop effects, easy installation of proprietary device drivers for ATI and NVIDIA graphics cards and wireless networking, and on-demand support for non-free or patent-encumbered media codecs.
--- End quote ---

So, is that paid for, or is it just stealing?

I'm curious. Not bringing judgement here.

Darwin:
Of course, if you have to open a terminal to get something installed this quickly becomes far more complex than a casual computer user will be able to deal with. However, this is just a learning curve as I imagine that the first time one opens a CMD console in Windows to be pretty daunting too
-Darwin (June 10, 2007, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I recently guided a 70 year old buddy of mine, who is trying to switch from Windows through a more complex installation process over the command line, after which he made the comment:

"All this linux stuff 'LOOKS' complicated, but once you start getting some grokking of it, it really makes sense."
-Gothi[c] (June 10, 2007, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's hope for me yet :P!

Lashiec:
Darwin - I think my city has the European record in temperature. Forget about southern Spain, I live in the north and we have been "enjoying" a temperature like 40 ÂșC or something... in summer, though. That's what I said "hotter places"... Belgium is like the North Pole to me ;D

But who knows? We're in the middle of June and it's been raining like in winter :huh:

Zaine - OK, here it goes. I hope I remember everything!

Fedora, Freespire, Gentoo, Knoppix, Mandriva, MEPIS, OpenSuSE, Pardus Linux, PCLinuxOS, Slackware, Trisquel (and derivatives), Ubuntu (and derivatives), Yellow Dog Linux and Xandros

--- End quote ---

I think I miss one or two, but as you see I'm considering quite a few options, although most of them come from the same pack of roots. I didn't list Debian, also, because I think that all its forks are quite nice by themselves. Probably I'll test all of them under a virtual machine (Virtual Box?), I don't feel like repartitioning and reinstalling so many distros.

By the way, thanks for the PolishLinux page. Very informative and well designed.

EDIT: Clarification for enjoying

zridling:
Lashiec, you ol' distro-hopper!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version