ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Endnote XI is released...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darwin:
It does two things for me: manages all of my bibliography - including formatting and inserting references into my papers (and compiling the references cited/bibliography at the end) and PhD thesis and it organises, manages, and stores all of my pdfs (this second feature is on of the reasons I upgraded to v.X - with hindsight, I wouldn't bother).

bugis:
I have endnote 9 currently (free from my university) and it is quite good, but some parts of the interface could be streamlined and made more intuitive, I feel. It took me quite a while to figure out a lot of the features, and even now, I am not 100% comfortable with some...especially when messing with a near finalized fully formatted and referenced manuscript, i get really jittery :D.  But I cannot live without it...indispensible for my PhD thesis and papers. :up:

Darwin:
Another person with a gratis copy of Endnote! Colour me GREEN! Anyway, sadly, the interface in Endnote v.X is largely unchanged since version 3 (the first I used) and nothing in the screenshots I've seen of v. XI indicates that much has changed there, either.

Here's a screen grab from the manual for XI:

Endnote XI is released...

Here's the "what's new" page from Endnote, if you're interested in the changes introduced in the latest release...

The feature I'd been wanting prior to v.XI's release - a "quick search" bar in the toolbar, visible to the right of the screenshot above - made it in, but it's not worth $90 to me (by late fall this price might have dropped to the $60 range but even then I'm not sure I'm interested). Given that I'm more than comfortable hitting CTRL-F to accomplish the same thing paying to upgrade for this feature wouldn't really make sense.

What's the PhD on, bugis, and have you voted in the How many students are active here (instead of writing up?!)?

bugis:

What's the PhD on, bugis, and have you voted in the How many students are active here (instead of writing up?!)?

-Darwin (June 13, 2007, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehe I dont think I would have shelled out the cash for EN9, if the univ library didn't provide all students with a free copy. So I don't know what I would have done. ;D

I agree, the minor improvements are not worth the $$$ for the upgrade. As it stands, ver 9 does what I need (and more!) just fine..my main gripe is only with the interface, but lets see..if the univ upgrades it license, I wont mind updating. Usually there is a 1-2 year lag between the release of a new EN version and our univ licensing it. We got EN 9 only earlier this year IIRC, until then we were on the buggy ver 7.

Thanks for the heads up on the thread. I have not posted there yet, will do so. I am currently doing my PhD in materials engineering.

tjowens:
Have you guys tried out the open source solution to the Endnote treadmill. http://www.zotero.org

"Zotero is an easy-to-use yet powerful research tool that helps you gather, organize, and analyze sources (citations, full texts, web pages, images, and other objects), and lets you share the results of your research in a variety of ways. An extension to the popular open-source web browser Firefox, Zotero includes the best parts of older reference manager software (like EndNote)—the ability to store author, title, and publication fields and to export that information as formatted references—and the best parts of modern software and web applications (like iTunes and del.icio.us), such as the ability to interact, tag, and search in advanced ways. Zotero integrates tightly with online resources; it can sense when users are viewing a book, article, or other object on the web, and—on many major research and library sites—find and automatically save the full reference information for the item in the correct fields. Since it lives in the web browser, it can effortlessly transmit information to, and receive information from, other web services and applications; since it runs on one’s personal computer, it can also communicate with software running there (such as Microsoft Word). And it can be used offline as well (e.g., on a plane, in an archive without WiFi)."

Check out the screencast http://www.zotero.org/videos/tour/zotero_tour.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version