ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR v2 Tricks and Tips Clinic

<< < (3/4) > >>

cnewtonne:
Mouser, I can not understand this behavior ...
I have created 2 search templates here...

lab --> ^lab\\(.*)$ --> c:\lab\$$1
pf --> ^pf\\(.*)$ --> c:\program files\$$1

now, typing lab\exe shows all executable files in c:\lab but NOT anything beyond that level. However, typing pf\exe shows executables in main folder and ALL subdirs recursively.

To show all exec's recursively in lab I have to type 'lab\*\exe'.

Why is it different?

mouser:
However, typing pf\exe shows executables in main folder and ALL subdirs recursively
--- End quote ---
are you sure this is true -- or is it the case that there are no exe matching entries in the main folder? my memory is that it works like this: IF matching files are found in the exact directory you specify, then its not going to go into subfolders.  only when you tell it to show you exe matching files in some explicit directory and it doesnt find any will it then try to help you out by searching deeper.

you could of course add the \*\ into your aliases to always look as deep as it can.

cnewtonne:
This makes sense because it did this recursive find on 2 of my dirs out of 5. When I checked them, none contained the exe I told it to find so it went ahead and continued downwards in the tree. I could not understand why is it behaving differently across dirs. For now, I wanted it to be a greedy as possible by adding \*\ and it works consistently now.

One last question, though, adding '\*\' to my search template now will make these 2 search strings return same results...

lab\exe
+lab exe +sall

The template simply and implicitly did the '+sall' for me. Right?

mouser:
there is a difference. +sall should show all, without it, it will still show a lot due to the new ability to specify a larger # of results when directory browsing (see options). i think.

urlwolf:
selecting the create a new alias file option makes FARR dies with an access violation error. :( v. 2.00.116 here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version