ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR v2 Tricks and Tips Clinic

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
I thought i'd start a little thread for FARR tricks+tips on some of the more unusual stuff in FARR v2.

I'll start with a trick that demonstrates the "dosearch" special alias action.  Although described in the help file its not obvious how you might use this special action.  Here's one way.

You know that FARR2 can do direct browsing of folders, etc.
So you could type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\..." etc.

Here's an alias that will let you type "pf\" instead of "C:\Program Files\" as a shorthand:

--- ---1000>>>pf alias search>->dosearch C:\Program Files\$$1>+>^pf\\(.*)$
just select that code and go to your alias file and choose IMPORT menu.

basically it just says that on matching regular expression "^pf\\(.*)$"
treat that as if user typed "C:\Program Files\$$1"

so the dosearch alias action is a way of letting the user type one thing, and making the program think they typed another.

JennyB:
I thought i'd start a little thread for FARR tricks+tips on some of the more unusual stuff in FARR v2.

I'll start with a trick that demonstrates the "dosearch" special alias action.  Although described in the help file its not obvious how you might use this special action.  Here's one way.

You know that FARR2 can do direct browsing of folders, etc.
So you could type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\..." etc.

Here's an alias that will let you type "pf\" instead of "C:\Program Files\" as a shorthand:

--- ---1000>>>pf alias search>->dosearch C:\Program Files\$$1>+>^pf\\(.*)$
just select that code and go to your alias file and choose IMPORT menu.

basically it just says that on matching regular expression "^pf\\(.*)$"
treat that as if user typed "C:\Program Files\$$1"

so the dosearch alias action is a way of letting the user type one thing, and making the program think they typed another.
-mouser (June 06, 2007, 10:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can sortof follow that, but could you back up a bit and recommend a simple reference to regexes as used in Farr for people who are not used to working with them? How does the line of code relate to what you would put in the text boxes if you were defining the aliases yourself?

I'd like to see aliases working more like folders: if you select an alias that takes parameters it presents in the results window a list of those parameters that you have already used. Further typing filters the list as if it were a file list, and you can select-and-launch, or launch with the parameter you have just typed in.

mouser:
How does the line of code relate to what you would put in the text boxes if you were defining the aliases yourself?
--- End quote ---
here's the screenshot:

could you back up a bit and recommend a simple reference to regexes as used in Farr for people who are not used to working with them?
--- End quote ---
http://www.regular-expressions.info/

cnewtonne:
this should be similar to having an folder alias 'pf' and then typing '+pf \\ microsoft'
right?

mouser:
no, whats special about using the dosearch action is that it is live as you type.  try it and see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version