ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlook 2007 - a rant

<< < (4/4)

Second Shadow:
Well, I just couldn't stand it any more, not for another day. So last night I moved my email to Thunderbird.
-johnk (June 07, 2007, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

This may be a little late since you alreeady moved to Thunderbird. But if you find that TB doesn't fulfill your needs beyond e-mail management you may want to take a look at Barca (http://www.pocosystems.com/home/index.php?option=content&task=category&sectionid=2&id=9&Itemid=27)
It's the PIM I'm using right now and I'm very happy with it.

Clive:
This excerpt from an article by David Flynn in the Australian PC User mag (04/07) may be of interest to users of Outlook who keep it running continuously and who are noticing their systems bogging down :

...a common cause of Outlook slow-downs is a bloated .pst. The .pst file stores all your e-mails (sent and received), address cards, appointments & tasks. E-mails will quickly balloon the file to enormous proportions, especially if they have attachments. This can result in a .pst of several hundred megabytes (or even gigabytes if you are like me!).
This slows your system down because Outlook tries to keep as much of the .pst as possible in memory, and even if it offloads part of it into virtual memory, those hard disk accesses just take longer again.
The first fix is to delete e-mails you don't need, especially those with attachments. If you need only the attachment save it to a folder on the hard drive & delete the e-mail. Next compact the .pst file (like defragging the HD) - select File -> Data File Management ->  Data Files tab -> click on Settings button -> click on Compact Now

Italics are my comments.
Trust someone will find this useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version