ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking to do high quality video conversion

<< < (7/8) > >>

wr975:
Thanks for sharing your results, but it seems you quite abandoned the "easy way" of video encoding. You've listed a lot of manual steps.  :D

Considering the encoding time I'd personally opt for the XviD version. The quality is hardly worse but *much* faster encoded. After all, when all is done and ready you watch the encoding on your TV and don't sit 40cm away from your monitor looking for artefacts. I think with 200 MB it wouldn't look much different.

About subtitles... be sure to use the OCR correcting feature of SubRip. It'll fix many common OCR errors. I also use Subtitle Workshop (#1) for additional OCR correcting + time sync. For displaying subtitles in movie players I use the DirectVobSub filter (#2), as it offers a lot of options how to display text subtitles (font, border, shadow, color, background, size, transparency, spacing, position...)

#1: http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw&lang=1
#2: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DirectVobSub.htm

Hirudin:
Thanks for sharing your results, but it seems you quite abandoned the "easy way" of video encoding. You've listed a lot of manual steps.  :D
...-wr975 (June 14, 2007, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Heh, that I did! AutoHotkey does a lot of the work for me now though... But the setup was long and arduous...  >:(
About subtitles... be sure to use the OCR correcting feature of SubRip. It'll fix many common OCR errors. I also use Subtitle Workshop (#1) for additional OCR correcting + time sync.
...-wr975 (June 14, 2007, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes! Thanks for mentioning that. I actually went through and opened each in Open Office to spell check them, but I still had to do a lot of manual corrections. I'll definitely check out Subtitle Workshop!

The latest development for me is that my computer is having some kind of problem with the filters (I suspect FFT3DGPU). I'm getting odd red and blue leading/ghosting with some movement.

I think to save time I should probably look into exporting the filtered video to some kind of uncompressed format or something...

Hirudin:
I did a quick try of outputting the frames to individual files after the filters, planning to then use the frames again to encode the MKVs and stuff. 2 problems came up:
1. The frames will take a lot of space. 640x480 frames were taking 450k each. 24 FPS * 60 seconds * 450k = ~540MB/minute
2. So far, it looks like doing this will actually increase the encoding time.

I can live with #1, but #2 just sucks! My theory went a lil' something like this: Outputting the frames will take a long time (my computer seems capable of ~15 FPS) but I'll only have to do it once. After the initial frame output every subsequent encode would go relatively quick. I was hoping for at least 30 FPS, but anything over 23 FPS would yield a net speed increase for a 3-pass encode as I've been doing.

Hirudin:
Another update...

First, I took "the easy way" out of the subject for this thread. I'm not thrilled about it, but "easy" certainly isn't part of the equation for me any longer...  8)

Also, I've found a lossless video compression codec called Lagarith. It's free, it's apparently fast (though I haven't tried others for myself), and it supports multi-threading. Encoding speed for my first, test video was about 17 FPS for Lagarith and so far it's about 37 FPS for x264 (first pass).
MathLets see, the video I'm working on has almost 34,000 frames (~24 minutes).
34000/17 = 2000
34000/37 = 920 or so (3 passes at this speed)
2000 + (920*3) = 4760 seconds of encoding.
Using the old method I was getting about 15 (<14 really) FPS.
(34000/15)*3 = 6800 seconds

If my math is correct, this new method = 30% faster... AND the source video will be exactly the same for every pass, increasing the efficiency, hopefully producing smaller files. The speed increase will be amplified since I'm actually encoding 2 sets of files (1 for computer use, 1 for PMP use) for a total of 5 passes.

The lossless video is about 4.4GB by the way.

- second pass is going at 43 FPS, sweet!
- oh no, the 3rd one is back down to 15...
This puts the total speed increase for 3-pass x264 640x480 video at ~12.5%... not that much... I wonder how 2-pass 320x240 xvid will fair...

Hirudin:
Sorry for doing a monologue here... I'm getting burned out on video, but maybe this'll help save someone some time, or get someone some higher quality video encodes...

Sometimes I skip steps when I do stuff like this, a step I skipped here is "what the heck is all this YUV/YV12 gobbildygook everyones's talking about? Well, This Website explains it all... or at least it explains enough that I feel like I know it all...

A particularly interesting quote...
VirtualDub (and variants) run in RGB mode when you use Normal Recompress or Full Processing Mode (in the Video dropdown menu). All of VirtualDub's internal functions and filters run in RGB colorspace only. However, Fast Recompress doesn't decode the video to RGB, and instead just passes whatever your source is into the compressor you've selected - thus if your source is a YUV type then it passes the video data as YUV into the video compressor.
--- End quote ---

The rest of the page is an interesting read, check it out.

So a person like me who sees "Full processing mode" shouldn't automatically assume they're getting something better...

I wonder what effect this'll have on my encodes, if any.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version