ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking to do high quality video conversion

<< < (5/8) > >>

Darwin:
I was considering ripping some DVD's onto my harddrive so that I could watch them in compressed format while on a palaeoanthropological dig in Belgium next month (leave June 21st, so don't expect I'll be around here much after that) without having to take the media with me. Am I the only one that finds this process so sloooooowwwww and resource intensive that it's not worthwhile? I've tried DVDFab, Divx Suite, Super@ and Total Movie Converter. I haven't tried in about a month, so maybe it's time to try again - I've uninstalled a good 60 programmes any one of which could have been causing conflicts and what not... Anyway, I did manage to test the quality be ripping the opening credits and first chapter of Superman Returns into an avi file with Divx, and was very impressed with the result but am not sure I have the time or the energy to rip the five or six movies I was thinking of taking with me. Maybe I should just take the media and be done with it!

Carol Haynes:
I have to say I don't think DVDFab is slow - it seems to take not much longer on my system than copying 8Gb of data to the hard disk (which is what it is doing effectively - even if it is compressing it as it has to at least read the data). That's if you copy it into DVD5 format.

Really compressing the data to small XviD files is a bit slow and time consuming but why not just leave it when you go to bed? You can load up multiple copies of DVDFab and process umpteen DVDs simultaneously (OK you have to rip them first unless you have umpteen drives).

The other thing I like about DVDFab is that it lets you use the computer while it is working - apps like DVDShrink tend to push CPU usage up to 100% and lock you out unless you set the low priority option - but then it takes an age.

Darwin:
You're preaching to the choir, Carol! I love DVDFab - been using it and DVDIdle Pro for years. I think I was experiencing issues relating to a very small amount of free disc space (about 10GB) and too much junk installed. I've upgraded the harddrive and uninstalled all sorts of detritus and have installed the latest version of DVDFab - I'm good to go so will try ripping something and report back. I'm encouraged by your experience using it!

Hirudin:
Yeah, working with video takes forever! I would imagine for the most part any DVD9 to DVD5 compression will take roughly the same amount of time, but I'd be willing to bet that Nero is one of the fastest (it's probably somewhere in the middle for quality though).

But, to me it sounds like you've got about 2 weeks to do 6 movies. Sounds very doable!

For quality DVD backing up, I'd recommend AnyDVD and DVD Rebuilder Pro using ReJig. ~$50 each.

Darwin:
But, to me it sounds like you've got about 2 weeks to do 6 movies. Sounds very doable!
--- End quote ---
  :P

Yeah, just have to get off my duff and do it, I suppose. But I still haven't decided what to rip... Decisions, decisions, decisions... I'll let DVDFab do its thing tonight with something and report back here tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version