ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking to do high quality video conversion

(1/8) > >>

Hirudin:
I've done it the hard way, it sucks, but you get high quality files. I actually wrote a tutorial type thing a few years ago for a flash class I was taking. Here it is if you wanna check it out DVD to Xvid.

Are there any programs out there that will let me take DVD content, manipulate it with AVISynth, convert the audio with LAME (-alt preset standard), and spit it out as an Xvid AVI (or even better MKV?). Something that'll convert the chapters, multiple audio streams, and subtitles to MKV would be good too! Maybe even be worth spending some money on.

Right now, here's the short version of what I do to convert an episode DVD (like a season disc of The Simpsons) to AVI...
0. use AnyDVD to decrypt my DVD 1. Rip the episodes out individually with DVDShrink 2. Use DVD2AVI to create a .d2v file that AVISynth can recognize 3. Use AVISynth to manipulate the video (deinterlace, decimate, run filters, crop, whatever) 4. Then put it into VirtualDUB to convert the video to Xvid (using 2 pass VBR) 5. Somewhere in there I also extract the audio 6. convert it to a wav, or normalize it in BeeSweet 7. If I'm going to use MP3 audio; use RazerLAME to make a VBR MP3 8. Use NanDUB to mux the audio and video into an AVI 8b. I might also use some other program to create an MKV with the DVD-like features (subs, multiple audio)

It's a little hard to keep track of, and quite time consuming, but you get good videos in the end.

Just to be clear, I'm not ONLY trying to use DVD a/v as the source, I just think that it's probably the most difficult and therefor anything that can handle DVDs can probably also handle MPGs, AVIs, and yes, even FLVs. For instance, I'd like to take the MKVs that I've already made and transcode them down into 320x240 Xvid AVI files for my Zen Vision:M, and probably some WMV files for a buddy of mine with a Zune.

[edit]I removed the phrase "the easy way" from the subject of this thread[/edit]

Eóin:
SUPER is a program I only became aware of from people talking about it here. I've found it to be excellent, it does almost everything you could need and I think it should meet your requirements.

P.S. the website is horrible to navigate, but don't let that put you off.

Hirudin:
I gave SUPER a quick try, I don't want to get into it but I didn't like the application and it didn't seem to work at all ta-boot. I'm on Vista 64, I figure SUPER doesn't like it...

It almost seemed like what I am looking for though...

imtrobin:
If you have ripped them using AnyDVD or DVDDecryptor, use AutoGK to encode them to 700MB Divx or Xvid.

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

Hirudin:
If you have ripped them using AnyDVD or DVDDecryptor, use AutoGK to encode them to 700MB Divx or Xvid.

http://www.autogk.me.uk/
-imtrobin (June 03, 2007, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah! I remember hearing quite a bit about this back in the day,  I seem to remember it being just about as close to 'automated' as you could get at the time. But for one reason or another I didn't use it very much, or at all. I'm not sure why though, maybe I didn't have the system specs, maybe the download was too big, maybe it was too expensive (I'm only guessing, it's possible it's always been free), etc. BUT I think it's high time for another try! Thanks imtrobin! I'll report back...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version