ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking to do high quality video conversion

<< < (4/8) > >>

Hirudin:
I gave Gordian Knot a try...
-Hirudin (June 04, 2007, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Gordian Knot gives you 100% access to all the options a codec offers. :-)

See the three guides here: http://www.doom9.org/xvid-guides.htm

Gordian Knot is already a bit dated because all development went into AutoGK
...-wr975 (June 06, 2007, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ohhh... I see, I guess I was thinking AutoGK and Gordian Knot were the same thing, I actually tried AutoGK. I'll have to go give Gordian Knot (ManualGK as it were) a try.

DVD Plat looks like a good DVD compressing program, but it looks too DVD centric to me. Another one to check out is DVD RB Pro's mobile output:

Hirudin:
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I've found a program that seems very promising! It's called StaxRip (Formally DVX I think).

A couple of the very cool features I've run into so far...
* It opens little help descriptions the first time you enter a new area. They tell you what the different buttons/options mean. This could get annoying the 10th time I see them, but for now I think they're great!
* It is a front end for many programs (I just tried to encode a video and it said that I needed 8 more programs). But it doesn't leave you hanging!
* If you don't have a program already it'll download and install it for you! Amazing! I wonder if it'll also keep track of what versions are available and update when needed?
* When it needed to install the first program, the UAC of Vista popped up, just as it should have! As an early Vista adopter I'm glad to see software that works correctly in Vista.
* It has a very clean, modern interface. Not super important, but it's nice when the layout makes sense and is pleasant to look at.

I hope it works, I hate to review a software before actually confirming the functionality...  :-[ But at the very least, to me, THIS looks like the ultimate video transcoding software.

Carol Haynes:
Hmmm ... do you really want software randomly downloading unknown software and installing it?

Black Mamba:
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I've found a program that seems very promising! It's called StaxRip (Formally DVX I think).-Hirudin (June 07, 2007, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the tip. It's really great!  :Thmbsup:

Time to learn how to encode properly.

Hirudin:
Hmmm ... do you really want software randomly downloading unknown software and installing it?
-Carol Haynes (June 07, 2007, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Usually no, but I've actually used the majority of the software that it's requested so far. (I should say: when it started asking me to download software I just started at the top of the list and worked my way down. Every program name that I actually read is a program that I've already used.) Programs like these usually come with all the executables that they work with, but they're almost always old and outdated versions.

I don't know about most people, but I consider converting video to be a big chore, so I put it off. That almost always means that I have to go and download all the software I want to use again (because what I already have is invariably outdated). Even remembering the names of the software I need is hard enough, but trying to find the latest versions is worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version