ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

google developer day reporting: google gears (better than AJAX?)

<< < (3/3)

mouser:
Here's the deal-
"A local server....................without needing to contact a server"
This is the part i don't understand. Would our computer serve as a server or is it something else?

--- End quote ---

It's a bit awkwardly put, but basically you've got it right.

Note that there is nothing magical about a "server", it's just a computer running certain programs that will serve web pages and listen and respond to requests.  You can install the same software on your pc (search for WAMP).

But these tools like Google Gears (when google does something it becomes worldwide news as if they invented the concept, but the truth is other companies have been working on this stuff), work a little differently.  As I understand it the basic idea is that when you are offline, instead of sending your requests and changes to the server, they are "cached" in a local database on your pc, and held until you are re-connected to the internet, at which point they are transmitted to the remote server.

So in essence your local pc "acts" like the server for temporary purposes, keeping track of all of your changes and requests until the real web server is available, and may even pre-load data from the server before you go offline, so that it can respond to your requests from within the browser (for example if you are going on a road trip, it might download tons of information ahead of time, and then serve it to your browser as you request it, AS IF you were connected to the internet).

cmpm:
So the benefit would be, in part, that if their server is down, one could still work on their project and it would auto upload when the server is back online. Or if you are offline you can still work on your project and it would auto upload when back online.

Automatic uploading would be better then manually, for obvious reasons that we do other things as well.

Something like a sync server setup. But I suspect it's just an offline help tool rather then keeping things running that one has setup on the net.

And I wonder, if it's your website would the website revert to the server on your computer if their server is down. Cuz most have always on connections to the internet-subject to your isp's server also.

Or perhaps make server sync an option. That would be helping to keep everything up and running.

And thanks for the 'WAMP' idea. Looked at it, though only learned a little.

Lashiec:
Since when is google the enemy?

BTW, they gave us (participants) a remote control helicopter at the end of the day (!). How's that for a treat?
-urlwolf (June 02, 2007, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since we bashed them in various threads around the forum. I was just kidding ;D

A helicopter?? Could you post a image? ;)

urlwolf:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version