topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Er...what am I missing here?  (Read 9631 times)

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Er...what am I missing here?
« on: May 31, 2007, 06:07 AM »
DesktopCoral sounds like it could be useful for me sometimes, but I don't understand how to put things into the dock area.  Dragging shortcuts from the desktop doesn't work, and there don't seem to be any instructions.

What am I missing?
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Er...what am I missing here?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:35 AM »
DesktopCoral is an unusual program designed to "reserve" some portion of your desktop which is shielded from maximized applications..

Essentially, it acts like an invisible resizeable docking bar, which can be docked to any side of your desktop. This invisible dock acts as a barrier to maximized applications and essentially shields this area of your desktop from other applications.

Within this shielded area you might put certain application windows that you want to be always visible, or you might put one of the many desktop tools like a calendar or system information component.
-Description of DesktopCoral

In short, it's not a dock per se, it is just able to "block" a part of your desktop area from maximised applications, which is similar to what your average docking app does.

If you want a dock in the "toolbar sense", i.e. for shortcuts, I suggest LaunchBarCommander, also by mouser.

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:47 AM »
Within this shielded area you might put certain application windows that you want to be always visible

That's the bit that sounds useful, but the configuration screen talks about adding shortcuts.  How do I put said programs into the blocked area? 

I think I'm being a bit of a dunce here....
Pablo Picasso

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:29 AM »
I didn't try the program but from what i've read, i suppose you have to put the shortcuts on the desktop, under the blocked area. This way you can access them anytime because windows never go over this area and then keep these shortcuts visible.

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Yes, that's what I thought.  But if you try to drag any shortcuts there, they are moved, because this part of the desktop is protected...
Pablo Picasso

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 03:37 PM »
It turns out that windows does not let you put icon shortcuts in this area.  As was mentioned before, if you want to do this, use LaunchBar Commander, which will in fact let you create multiple docks with shortcuts and buttons, and resize them exactly the size you want.

What Desktop Coral is still good for is for programs like Samurize which draws stuff on your desktop background, since Desktop Coral can force areas to remain free from applications.

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I was thinking that desktop coral would allow me to do things like put trillian windows (or word, or a folder of files that I'm working with) in their own protected spot on the desktop so that they are protected, yes?  Or am I misunderstanding the point of it?

If I try to move a window into the area that is "marked off", so to speak, as the desktop coral dock, they just move over to the edge of it and I end up with a lovely view of that part of my desktop, but I can't put anything there (window or shortcut or whatever). 

Am I just being dense, or what?   :(
Pablo Picasso