ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is The Bat! e-mail app better than Mozilla Thunderbird (or other e-mail app)

(1/5) > >>

Defenestration:
I currently use Mozilla Thundervbird as my e-mail client and while I'm pretty happy with it, a lot of reviews seem to indicate The Bat! is the best. With the discount on offer for DC members, I'm thinking of purchasing TB!, but would like to hear from TB! users as to why they use it over another e-mail client like Thunderbird ?

What are the pros and cons of TB! ?

What are the new features planned for TB! version 4 ?

mouser:
I wrote a long review of thebat 2 years ago on DC:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/EmailClient/index.html

i still love it.

but, thunderbird is getting better every day, and many of the advantages that thebat had may be implemented by thunderbird by now, i'm note sure.  try them both and see what you prefer!

TucknDar:
What's the upgrade policy of TheBat?

I might give it a try, and although I very much doubt I'll buy it, I'd like to know if I'd have to keep paying for it in the future...

Currently I use Opera's M2 client :up:

Renegade:
I've posted a bit about this over that the JoelOnSoftware forums... Search for "Thunderbird" there for a few discussions on it.

Thunderbird is pretty good, but still suffers from some problems with corrupt email headers and large email databases. The problems are critical and haven't been solved in the last 3 releases (that I've tried). I've since been forced to abandon Thunderbird simply because I really need access to my email, and when you can't view it... That doesn't help. Other than that, I really like Thunderbird.

My stored email is pretty big, so that may not affect you. (About 1.7 GB or so.)

I tried The Bat and liked it enough to try and buy it, but their payment processor made that problematic and I was never able to purchase. :(

I may try again sometime when I have some time to migrate. For the moment, I just don't have time to fuss around with it and am using Outlook Express again - it's just plain solid. Not a lot of frills, but it works well.

Perhaps one of the main things that I find with commercial products like The Bat is that they're making money from it and when problems occur, commercial developers (in my experience) are quicker to fix problems. FOSS developers don't have that financial motivation, which is a pretty big one. When you're bread and butter come from your software, you tend to be a bit more motivated to get things fixed.

cthorpe:
I use The Bat! to check 9 different email accounts, and it does it well.  One of the accounts is my gmail account, and it handled over 13,000 emails without a hitch.  I can sort and filter quickly.  I tried to have Thunderbird download from my gmail account about a month ago.  Once it was all downloaded, it would take me forever to access any of the mail or do any manipulation through filters, etc.

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version