ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why don't you pay for software?

<< < (12/15) > >>

wraith808:
It's just a term... some people do say unauthorized duplication/usage.  But pirate is a bit more catchy than unauthorized duplicator ;)

Mark0:
Yes, I think that the BSA like it more that way! :)

wraith808:
I don't think most people associate pirates with the extreme negative connotations you bring up.  I mean, look at the top movie of the Memorial Day weekend... is it Coders of the Carribean?  I think not... LOL

AndyMacP:
Personally I don,t pay simply because pensions do not stretch to such indulginces. I pay only for what I consider  necessary, ie, security etc. :D

Darwin:
The question was "Why don't you pay for software?"

That question in and of itself doesn't imply that one uses pirated software.

I interpreted that question to mean "Why would you use freeware? And why would you choose not to support the software you use?"-app103 (May 26, 2007, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a valid point. However, check out the quote from the introduction to the original discussion at Download Squad:

This is a post for the crack 'torrenters, the chronic non-donators and the I'll-stick-with-the- free - alternative'ers in the crowd: we want to hear your thoughts on why you don't pay for software.
--- End quote ---

It seems that the intent of the original thread, at least in part, was to address the issue of people using either donationware or shareware apps ("crack 'torrenters") without actually paying for them. So, piracy was included in the scope of the original discussion.

I agree, though, that we got into a bit of a rut and have focused almost exclusively on piracy. The use of donationware, e-mail-ware, postcardware, or other types of software that use alternative forms of licensing without actually honouring the end-user's part of the bargain (donation, postcard, etc.) seems to be a major problem as well. I mean, given that most software is downloaded now, how difficult is it to write an e-mail to thank a developer for their time and effort and for making the result of that time and effort available to you for download? Not saying I'm saying I'm perfect... In fact, thank you for making me think about this as I've a bunch of e-mail/postcards to write!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version