ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why don't you pay for software?

<< < (4/15) > >>

Sugar:
I "buy" donationware as well as Windows, the graphics programs of my choice, etc.  I also use freebies. Sort of an "I gotta be me" kinda thing.

dataphool:
I bought Microsoft when I bought my computer.  It was provided with Compaq.  However, today, my disposable income is less than $5 / month.  Once I pay for my rent, I don't even see the pension cheque.

Everybody cry for me.  I eat well.

Laughing Man:
Depends on if I have any money to spare, and if I really love the software provided.

J-Mac:
I don't usually pay for software because there are too many frere/open-source programs that do exactly (and sometimes more) then the commercial alternatives. This comes to mind, mostly with graphic programs and VB.NET components for GUIs (I develop free software).

dhuser
-dhuser (May 23, 2007, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Crush's points aside (which I read with interest and can see where he's coming from), dhuser's argument about using freeeware/open source is valid.

Regarding my earlier post and the quote that I made in it, I can even respect, even if I don't agree with, an argument about ripping off Microsoft or Adobe because their stuff is too expensive. However, stating that you rip a company off because their products suck is ridiculous! How many car thieves target rusted and clapped out non-exotic cars?
-Darwin (May 23, 2007, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is where I differ: Just because a company's products are too expensive, I don't feel I have any right whatsoever to steal the product.  If I did feel that way about, say, Chevrolet, I wouldn't think to steal a Chevy to "get back" at them!

I either pay up and grumble like everyone else, or I make do with alternative applications. But I won't steal them.

Jim

wraith808:
I think many people miss the fact that there are those out there who live off the money from software, and the functionality of the software does enrich the computing experience, making the time spent developing it worth money.

Personally, to me it's all about the pricing of software in relation to the value, especially when the software is from an individual or small firm.  An example is the special this month.  There were specials on different software: ED for windows, SynchronizeIT and ZuluPadPro were the  ones I was interested in.  After comparing ED to windows to my other alternative, even at the discounted price, I paid more for the editor I wanted.  Because in the end, the time it saved me was worth the increas in price.  SynchronizeIT I gladly used the discount for.  I thought at the regular price it was overpriced for how much use I would get out of it, but at the discounted price, I could afford to pay for the minimal use I'd get out of it.  ZuluPadPro I paid full price for.  Why?  Because the original price wasn't *that* much, and for the functionality, it was worth it.

I guess in the end it comes down to three questions.

* What is your software worth to you? 
* How much time does it save? 
* If it wasn't available because the developer couldn't afford to make it, how much would that hurt your productivity?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version