ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why don't you pay for software?

<< < (15/15)

Bjorn_Bear:
I'm new to donationcoder :up:, all the people must have some reward.
Money or a thank you for a great work (free software), and if everyone start to download
illegal copy's this will happens in a time frame of a year.
no upgrades and no new program's on the market.

zridling:
When you reread the original question, it wonders why people don't contribute anything, even a dollar. Devs also love [real] bug reports, too, along with honest criticism and suggestions. But the tone of the original question is more like: You liked the food and the service; so why not leave a tip?

I've got no qualms of temporary pirating for evaluation purposes, but if you leave it on your HD, pay for it. As Michael Rainey and Darwin point out, the developer spent countless hours (often years!) on the software, so give back and pay it forward. Hell, even Plato wrote about honor among thieves in The Republic.

OldElmerFudd:
Actually, I don't have any problems paying for software I like and use. Many software authors create programs that become "donationware" because they put so much time and effort into maintaining and improving it. I enjoy donating to my favorite authors and buy their software when they take it shareware (Photofiltre Studio and JV 16 Power Tools, e.g.). Whenever possible, I pay for subscriptions to my favorite newsletters, or at least donate.

As to commercial software, I'm a little conservative. Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver 8, etc., have the flexibility and power I need and I don't mind paying for them. I use XP Pro SP2 on all my machines, and have no interest in Vista. I neither condemn nor support pirated software; if you need/use it, that's your choice.

Just my 2 pennies
OEF

mitzevo:
commercial software fuels open source.. if commercial software didn't exist, who would every one blame?

other than that I pay for good software, nothing less. (most good software is free :D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version