ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

musicIP (as a player): wow

<< < (5/10) > >>

cthorpe:
Wow...
I seriously need to prune my collection...
It's taking forever to even load all my tracks up into the library, much less analyze them.

Looks like urlwolf and I are dealing with a similar library size.

- Edit -

Ok, after the initial processing phase has run through, I must say that I really like the mixing in this thing.  As I said above, I have a lot of mp3s, so I am always interested in programs that let me manipulate my collection in interesting ways.  It's already pulled up stuff that I love that I had forgotten I have in digital format.

I am very curious about the premium version. ;)

Carl

whicken:
The fast initial pass is based on metadata - we have mountains of metadata correlated with acoustics, so we can usually get pretty close based on just that.  The slower pass is to verify the metadata isn't lying (so if you've got a song which is completely mistagged, the acoustics originally assigned will be wrong, but fixed in the slower pass).  The full process is a bit more complicated to explain, involving SHA-1's, acoustic fingerprints, and acoustic profiling.  (It's detailed somewhat in the FAQ.)

If you look under our "Best of the Blog" section, you'll see a section titled "Other Topics" - this covers some of the more advanced features which show up under the premium version.

http://www.musicip.com/about/blogs.jsp

cthorpe:
So if you know you have your songs tagged correctly, you can skip the second and third pass and everything should work well?

Carl

whicken:
Pretty much.  The "find duplicates" feature won't work unless they've been fingerprinted, but that's about it.  And of course tag fixing, but if the tags are already correct you don't care about that.

Darwin:
The beauty is, though, that by default the second and third passes occur at low priority and I saw virtually no hit to my system responsivenes while they were done. The effect on RAM was minimal but I did see occasional, and brief, spikes in CPU utilisation that DID have an effect. The procees took about eight hours - if I was going to do it over again, I'd have it run overnight. My music library is 8.3 GB and contains about 1800 tracks).

I spent yesterday listening to music through musicIP Mixer and am very impressed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version