ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Web Mail Recommendation?

<< < (3/9) > >>

Deozaan:
I'm a little late to the party (Hey where'd everyone go?) but I just want to say that Gmail is indeed the best in my opinion. I used to despise webmail and feel sorry for everyone who had it. Once I started using Gmail, I stopped using my pop3 client.

:-*

Now I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't use Gmail.

lanux128:
i'm another one of the late-comers to this thread.. like many others before, i had pretty much given up on webmails until Gmail turned up and changed my mind.. :) also, get the notifier as well.. :Thmbsup:

iphigenie:
I do know that gmail is sexier and that yahoo mail has improved immensely lately, but I use fastmail. Less sexy, but I know that I pay for it and they won't sell my profile to anyone.

I stopped trusting google about 3 years ago when they changed their description to "the largest advertising agency on earth"

I use fastmail - paid for - and find it reliable and well set up etc. They are very transparent in their blog as to what technology they use and what the customers can do with it, which I appreciate since I used to run mail servers and have seen so many badly configured services (godaddy's for one)

app103:
Speaking of ads...

When you send an email from your Yahoo account, they tack ads to the end of it. The receiver sees these ads...same with Hotmail.  :-[

Gmail...they don't put ads in the mails you send out. The only ads seen are by the Gmail account holder, in the right side panel, if you use the webmail...not in the emails themselves....and not seen at all if you use Gmail with POP access.

Something to think about. Do you want to send people email + ads? or just email?

Something else I remember about Hotmail and Yahoo...they spam you with ads. It's not enough that they are tacking ads onto everything you send out, they have to send you mail to your inbox full of ads too. I don't get extra crap to delete from Google like I did from Yahoo & Hotmail.

iphigenie:
I have friends on yahoo and I only see a tagline "sent via yahoo" thingie (just like gmail) no ads. Can't comment about hotmail, seems noone uses it to send anything anymore, only as a spambox.

That model is much better: after all the account holder chose to get on gmail, and therefore agreed to see ads and be profiled, but the people receiving the email did not agree to anything and why should they be subhected to ads or tracking bugs?

That's why I have always either paid for email or run my own mail server - courtesy to my recipients as well as professionalism. Also, I want to make sure I have the control over my email etc. If fastmail lose all my email I can expect them to do everything to restore it quickly, and I can also demand compensation.
If google decided tomorrow to change all the T&Cs of their account, drop certain features, access etc. I don't believe users have any recourse... (Both google and yahoo have in the past changed their features, changed their conditions, dropped entire areas of service)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version