ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

What's the best Journal (Diary) software?

<< < (2/12) > >>

tinjaw:
I was looking for something to keep a daily journal of the stuff I do at work. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I did find DiaryOne which looks nice.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

superboyac:
Im trialling a thing called Ideamason ( http://www.ideamason.com/ ) which at a quick look has a lot of the features of the Journal, but then i want it specifically for essay writing and research of that type, and much prefer a single organized place for things rather than a separate program for everything, so long as it does it well. (unlike everything else in my life which seems to be totally disorganized lol)
-Grorgy (May 14, 2007, 01:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ideamason is a bit much for just a simple journal.  However, as far as notetaking, it seems very interesting.  I just finished watching the screenshot tour of it and it looks like it's a mature program with many research-oriented options.  I need to look at it a little more for the notetaking thread.

Being the type of person you are, you also probably want something that's "indexable" with a desktop search program (X1, copernic, archivarius...)  :)
-Armando (May 14, 2007, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know, I don't think I need to be able to index it with another program.  After all, it is "private" so I don't want to be as accessible as all my other normal documents.  The search options in the Journal are pretty extensive, so I shouldn't have a hard time finding anything.  If people are going to snoop around in my journal, at least make them work for it!

Armando:

I think if I'm not mistaken, Windows Desktop Search does index Onenote files.
-patteo (May 14, 2007, 04:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

True. I just don't like Windows Desktop Search very much. But, Yes, it's good to mention it does actually index OneNote files!

(I didn't specify it but I mainly use X1 and Copernic, which I find superior... And I don't want to have 3 DS programs to run at the same time.)

Edit : actually, there are many pages on the web analysing some of the problems that preoccupy me : Long-term Accessibility of files, "easiness of search", etc. `. Here's one that's pretty representatives of my anxieties  :) :
http://pigpog.com/node/1001

There are many others, of course...

(edit : added the web page link)

Armando:
I don't know, I don't think I need to be able to index it with another program.  After all, it is "private" so I don't want to be as accessible as all my other normal documents.  The search options in the Journal are pretty extensive, so I shouldn't have a hard time finding anything.  If people are going to snoop around in my journal, at least make them work for it!
-superboyac (May 14, 2007, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess you're right. My personal journals are encrypted...  :-[ But I have many other "journals" on different subjects, less intimate, and I love the fact that everything is indexed. Anyhow : If the search options in the journal software are good, well...

I wonder : what kind of stuff one might really need in a journal that's not already in a word processor (or that's not possible to create with macros, AHK, etc.) ? i'm not saying it would be useless or anything, I just wonder...

(edit : oups, mistake)

J-Mac:
I use "The Journal" available at http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/.  Definitely worth a look - they have a full-featured 45 day trial you can download.

I was looking for such a program for quite a while but was really limiting myself by requiring that the application have both a desktop PC and Pocket PC version available. But I finally gave up on that and started looking for simply the best PC journal software I could find - and The Journal fit the bill.  Excellent developer support with a very active Yahoo group (though I don't really like Yahoo groups!). This one gives me all that I need, plus has a lot of additional features that I am not presently using, but I hope to use someday.

It's not inexpensive, but it satisfies all of my requirements, and has some extras that are really great.

Oops - I just noticed that superboyac did mention this software in his initial post -- and he is correct in that this application is not really interactive with other applications, though you can link a number of other document types to it, as well as embed them in your journal pages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version