ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

.Net Framework

(1/3) > >>

cmpm:
Ok, what's the deal with this .net framework stuff.
I was told I needed it to run ie7, yet I am running ie 7 without it.

Many programs require it for their programs to work.
What does it do? What's it's purpose?

I've added it before and it slowed my browsing down, took it out and back up to speed.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thankyou.

Wordzilla:
It's just like vb runtime and java runtime environment, or even Adobe flash player plugin for your browsers.

".net applications (and thus .net framework 2) are becoming more and more popular; if you install new software on a fairly regular basis you are going to need to install it sooner or later" -- Mouser

To learn more about it, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.net_framework

I was told I needed it to run ie7, yet I am running ie 7 without it.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps Windows Update has already installed it for you (clandestinely! without your knowledge!), but no worries, it won't harm your PC.

cmpm:
Windows update shows that I need to install it.
But I haven't yet. Nor is it in add-remove programs.
So I assume it's not on my machine.
And when I try to install some programs that require it-usually .net 2.0-I get a notice to install the .net framework and cancel the install.

It's not a big deal but I wanted to know why it's a need to run other programs mainly.

I suppose developers use whatever it does to help with their programs.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the wiki on it.

jgpaiva:
Here's my explanation (i'm sure other people will find better ones :P)
The technical part: .net is a runtime library, that allows programs written in a .net language (C#, visual basic.net, j#, asp, etc..). Thus, if you have a program that is written using that language, you'll need to have .net installed and running.

As for ie7 needing .net running, that's a lie. I already ran it without having .net installed.
But... There might be some add-ons for ie7 that need it.

cmpm:
Yeah...lol...I tryed to put an add on in and got rejected :)

Maybe I'll experiment with 2.0 a bit more.
But it sure seemed to be the culprit that slowed my browsing.
Going to get a faster machine soon, on a pentium 3 500mhz right now with 640p100 ram.
So I'm like 2 decades behind in computers.
Actually I have a Pent D 3.0 that never even hiccups at anything and has .net 1.0 thru 3.0 on it and has speed to spare.
But my kid uses it for his games and he plays them a lot which is no problem.
I really don't need a lot of power, but apparently I'm going to have to get a better comp.
Watching the price drops closely....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version