ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BEWARE: IE7Pro and OrbitDownloader

<< < (2/4) > >>

Wordzilla:
Anyways....I don't understand why all the posting on forums when it's free. What is the purpose? I don't know.
--- End quote ---

No spyware/adware on earth charges you a dime. What's the purpose of exposing their nasty tricks?

dk70:
Well is that not stating the obvious. How many spammers would engage in IRC chat with ADM? Is he that dumb or new to the game?

Not hard to find stupid useless "reviews" on Betanews or where ever, spamming from developers or not. Comment section is not supreme court. As long as you dont know sender how can you know what is spam or not? - and does it really matter? I thought sorry state of most other software sites was one of the reasons most here liked DC. As you can see stupid promotion tricks dont work.

Eh, if you disregard softplatz site whatever that is your Google proof looks a bit thin, a handful of hits! - but I sure believe they, being them self and/or friends "spam". Try some other keywords instead of just that quote, may be they use more than 1 catchy sentence. Unless you plan to be 400 years old there is hardly a wave at DC btw.

Happens every day all over the place so I dont know why so upset. Im sleepy but if IP logs prove no ability to wize up xxxxx should be banned of course. Up to higher powers - however, I thought you were warning against programs as well? To hint security issues you need solid proof I think.

Is it suspect not to charge for software? May be they have plans to sell parts of their code to other company later on, or make payware versions - or just want to attract attention/$$$ through popularity. Nothing wrong in that, no one knows.

app103:
I find this alarming:

Source: http://www.pctools.com/mrc/infections/id/Trojan.Dropper.DuDu/

Note:
Softpedia guarantees that Orbit 1.0.0.2 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including but not limited to: spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. But right after install Orbit is trying to connect to DuDu.com (chinese website) and scanning with Ad-Aware SE Professional the things are getting worst :

- Adware.DuDu * 3 objects
- Adware.DesktopMedia * 1 object

So try this at your own risk, can be just fp or not.
-http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=511043
--- End quote ---
Source: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=511043

Ya, Orbit 1.0.0.1 right after install is trying to connect to DUDU.COM
:

Name: Adware.DuDu

TAC Rating: 4

Category: Adware

Description:
Adware.DuDu is a Chinese application that shows advertising while
browsing with Internet Explorer. It is part of a bundled install and
installs without user consent. There is also an English version of this
application.

--- End quote ---
Source: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/afdf36354f7b03e0?dmode=source

Well, according to the support team, Orbitnet.exe (which is the p2p backend used to help speed up downloads) connects to a bunch of servers so it can be ready to help with the speeding up of them. Some of the servers it uses are in a subnet range with causes some Anti-Spyware programs to think that its communicating with DUDU.com (even though it isn't doing anything harmful).
-Zero3K (November 10, 2006, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Source: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6092.msg43249#msg43249

and this:

DUDU-INC.COM???!!

<sarcasm>
Oh, no...of course not...they aren't related to dudu in any way shape or form...they just by accident share the same IP block.
</sarcasm>

Sorry...I am not buying the bull, not after all the other deceptions and unethical practices, and lying.

Take a risk with your own pc if you want...trust them if you want...but I won't.  :down:

Wordzilla:
Well is that not stating the obvious. How many spammers would engage in IRC chat with ADM? Is he that dumb or new to the game?
--- End quote ---

How many spammers would engage in IRC chat with ADM and admit he spammed? Probability theories fail in this case. He joined IRC and admitted "we spammed", well maybe it only happens every 100-200 years but it did. Perhaps our forum thread threated the reputation of his product and he was forced to defend it no matter how.

Showing of technically solid, black and white, indisputable evidence is less and less likely to be to a practical approach to identifying spyware today.

The intelligence of malware authors should not be underestimated. They are getting smarter by the hour. Malware does not have to behave badly and get caught right after you install it, otherwise it will become antivirus fodder very soon. It does not have to display ads to you upon launch everytime so you'd be figuring out how to get rid of it. It does not even have to play nasty on you until the developer decides that his user base has reached a certain level that it becomes profitable to enable the dormant spyware module. And you will be there frantically looking for the culprit among your recently installed apps.

Sometimes we just have to take all aspects of the matter (technical or not) into consideration, couple with some not-so-absolutely-sufficient technical evidence - to make a judgment.

So users: Take some hints if you can!

Happens every day all over the place so I dont know why so upset.
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, we have folks here who use Orbit Downloader, some of whom even defended the program upon revelation of potential spyware activities and offered advice to the developer. It is my belief that they deserve to be better informed.

dk70:
Spyware Terminator is made by former adware makers and still "recommended" every where. Im not so sure you should use FDM, DAP or Flashget either if you have too good memory.

All I will say about listing random findings from random versions is I believe such activities can always be proven and situation is today and todays version. Can take note of past all you like but this is what must be investigated. That thread on Neowin calms down fast does it not? You are looking for "proof" not proof and why I post.

They even use "Dont be evil" as motto and sing no spyware etc. so of course a big problem if not the case. I believe anything but not without proof. Orbitdownloader is at version 1.55 so start there and report result. I just installed it with no popups from Kaspersky but other programs might think differently. Featured at same Neowin btw http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=40230

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/dudu.com/summary/ possible they have a different web "culture". And this has what to do with programs? Members here use a billion of sites, programs - , make better safe than sorry/warning forum. Will be a busy one.

If banning those IPs stops the "wave" then ban away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version