ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows

<< < (2/5) > >>

Renegade:
Hmmm...

It's about time that I try out the newest latest and greatest from the Linux world. Last time I really tried it was pure Hell. (A few years ago I tried to get a box running with several distros - nothing worked right and I had LSODs (Linux Screen Of Death) every few minutes practically.)

I am still very far from convinced, but I'll give it a shot.

As to the comments in the thread there... Yikes. Sounded like a lot of gushing to me. TCO? That all depends on what you want to do. It is far cheaper to spend a few $1,000 on software that requires less maintenance than some other free version in some situations. There's no generally "true" TCO for Linux or Windows - that's pure BS. Web server? Windows 100%. File server? Linux 100%. Then there's everything inbetween. They do different things better.

More gushing BS:

Yes, but Linux will never be able to run all the great virus's and spy ware that my windows box can. Just look at all the great virus code that I can run on windows box for free, just by connecting my unprotected windows PC to the Internet. No downloading no updating, just automatically arrives.
--- End quote ---

Good sarcasm, but just silly. The top security expert all say that OSX is no more secure than Windows - and OSX is built on BSD, which is still a step above Linux with BSD having some of the genreally considered most secure distros. Security is about social engineering and stupid people that fall for it.

Time to check out if the hype is anywhere near reality... But only after I get back from the sun and sand in Thailand! :D  (I'm SOOOO looking forward to this vacation - first real one in 5 years.)

cthorpe:
My advice, should you choose to try Linux, is to forget about making it exactly like Windows.  You will spend countless hours, and you will fail.  Once you spend signicant time on Linux, every time you use a Windows computer you will say "Bah, I could do xyz if I was on Linux".
--- End quote ---

Funny, I find myself saying, "Bah, I could do xyz if I was on Windows.  Here in Linux, before I can do xyz, I have to do acdefg(no wait i needed d efg)defghi(.1)i(.2)i(.3)jklnmomnopqustuv(what do you mean I needed b???? Ah $%!& it!)"

tinjaw:
Funny, I find myself saying, "Bah, I could do xyz if I was on Windows.  Here in Linux, before I can do xyz, I have to do acdefg(no wait i needed d efg)defghi(.1)i(.2)i(.3)jklnmomnopqustuv(what do you mean I needed b???? Ah $%!& it!)"
-cthorpe (May 08, 2007, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's definitely quote of the day material. LOL.

zridling:
I read this article early this morning and have to agree with one of the commenters there, that Linux is Linux, and Windows is Windows. If you install a Linux distro thinking it's going to (or should) work like Windows, you're in for a surprise, and not a pleasant one. The installation and driver models are just too different. If you enjoy futzing and fiddling with your system, tweaking it to exact measures, then you'll probably like some of the Linux distros. If not, you'll have to approach as if you were approaching Windows for the very first time — with a wide-open mind. So going into Linux — especially Ubuntu — thinking it will an easy "Windows replacement" is a mistake, and you will be disappointed and frustrated, and within about ten minutes or ten hours, run back to Windows and tell everyone how much Linux sucks. (You see a similar response to long-term nixers who haven't used Windows since Win98.)

The desktops, like KDE, for example, might look similar, but the comparison quickly breaks down after you scratch the surface. If you want to try a Windows and hardware-friendly distro, check out Freespire or PCLinuxOS.

gjehle:
there's pretty much ONE thing I can do on linux that i can't do running windows

working and having fun with it while using it and having the right feel to it.
very personal thing, tho.
the look and feel, the handling, how stuff is organized, how it works... linux just feels right for me ;-)
windows doesn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version