ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

FreeThesaurus.net - new official DC web service, is now up and running!

<< < (8/9) > >>

Wordzilla:
Wordzilla,
What component do you use for the Suggestion drop-down?  I have a need for something like this to use in a website of mine.
-Veign (September 07, 2007, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well I coded it from scratch (inspired by an ajax script published in the book Ajax for Dummies)

This is the javascript that handles live suggest requests:
http://freethesaurus.net/suggest.js

Database backend (which outputs one word/phrase each line, with \n as separator, simple stuff):
http://freethesaurus.net/suggest.php?q=xxxx

Inline javascript:

--- ---<input type="text" value="" id="q" name="q" size="35" onkeyup="sd()" onclick="sd()" onblur="rh()" autocomplete="off"/>

The entry function in suggest.js delays ajax action for 250 milliseconds to accommodate fast typers:

--- ---var TimerId = 0;

function sd(){
      clearTimeout(TimerId);
      TimerId = setTimeout("getSuggest()",250);
}

Carol Haynes:
That seems to have got it - well done ;)

It's all a learning curve  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Another 'bug' - don't know how you can fix this one ...

If a definition is a long one the pop up box is too narrow to display the whole definition. Try hovering over "good" to see what I mean.

AFAICS the only way to solve this would be to allow the mouse to enter the yellow box (currently it disappears if you move the mouse) and include a scroll bar. A workaround would be to make the yellow box quite a bit wider so that more will fit on screen.

Some of the synonyms for good are a bit over the top (and not really synonyms as far as I can see).

Veign:
Wordzilla,
What component do you use for the Suggestion drop-down?  I have a need for something like this to use in a website of mine.
-Veign (September 07, 2007, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well I coded it from scratch (inspired by an ajax script published in the book Ajax for Dummies)

-Wordzilla (September 07, 2007, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good stuff.  Would I be able to use what you have done on my website (another free service)? - I will find a place to give you credit of course...

Wordzilla:
Sure Veign, feel absolutely free to use my code in any way you like. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version