ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any freeware alternatives to Instant ThumbView?

<< < (3/13) > >>

Darwin:
No doubt you're right, Tom. I started writing about FMView before I took a look at the price (it's not that bad compared to, say, QuickView Plus). I stopped using it because when I moved to Win98 and Office 97 somewhere along the way I wound up with MS' dumbed down version of QuickView (or was it 95 that introduced it? I no longer remember).

I *think* that sri is primarily interested in the mouse-over preview function. I half wonder if a plug-in for DOpus (or one of the other File Managers out there) is available/possible for something like this? I guess in a round-about way I've simply rephrased sri's original request... All we're looking for is a plug-in (even for Windows Explorer) that will tap into the view feature Curt talks about above...Explorer can do that a lot faster itself - just activate the file (in View > Details or what the English term might be). Is not this feature a part of XP, or did I get it from some third-party program, and have forgotten?

--- End quote ---
Maybe this is a good candidate for a coding snack request?

tomos:
I *think* that sri is primarily interested in the mouse-over preview function. I half wonder if a plug-in for DOpus (or one of the other File Managers out there) is available/possible for something like this? I guess in a round-about way I've simply rephrased sri's original request... All we're looking for is a plug-in (even for Windows Explorer) that will tap into the view feature Curt talks about above...-Darwin (May 05, 2007, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dopus does do that - "mouse-over preview function" - via plugin but couldnt tell you anything beyond that ...

Darwin:
Dopus does do that - "mouse-over preview function" - via plugin but couldnt tell you anything beyond that ...
--- End quote ---

Dang! I *thought* that it did but couldn't find it before I posted (I did check, honest!). Anyway, irrespective of DOPus  :-*, I still think that this is a good coding snack candidate for a Windows Explorer add-in. Right off to tinker with DOpus...

tomos:
DOpus "preview function"Settings/filetype/all files/edit/info-tip
should include "{thumbnail}" (no inverted commas!)
You may have to activate plugin in preferences as well but i dont think so

Nighted:
Curt, Instant ThumbView is unreliable because it does not always render the thumbnail. For instance, it can be something as simple as the file name that creates this behavior (not an unusual filename either).

Personally, I'll just use thumbnail view or when that's not possible, I have Xentient Thumbnails installed, which basically creates the file icon from the actual image.

Thanks Crono, I was unaware that the XnView team had a context menu viewer...I will check this out. I currently use FirmTools ShellExtension.

If anyone needs to have thumbnails set as the default view in Open dialogs, you can use OpenWide, Viewtify (add programs to an ini file to have separate views for each application), and Direct Folders (HORRIBLE, if not non-existent customer support and unstable behaviour...I see the guy has had time to release a new app, but not respond to my support request of many moons ago - DO NOT buy anything from this guy, support your friend Nighted, ok? ;) ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version