ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any freeware alternatives to Instant ThumbView?

<< < (2/13) > >>

Darwin:
... FMView 2.0 is another alternative that requires you to click on the file to view it, but it is more robust. It will allow you to preview all sorts of Office and other productivity apps' file contents, in addition to viewing most graphics formats, and is a bit cheaper at $16.50 vs. $19.95. I used to use version 1.x (still have a licence for it somewhere) with Win 3.11 and really liked it. I haven't tried version 2 with anything newer, though...

Curt:
... FMView 2.0 is another alternative ...-Darwin (May 05, 2007, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am surprised by FMView's installation procedure:

Installation for new users

If you have NEVER installed FmView before then follow these instructions:

Create a new directory on your hard disk (for example c:\fmview)
Move the self extractor FMVIEW20.EXE (or FMVIEW14.EXE) there
Double click FMVIEW20.EXE (or FMVIEW14.EXE) in the FmView directory
Double click INSTALL.EXE in the FmView directory to install FmView
--- End quote ---

Why must I create a new directory? This is strange to me. But then again, I have no idea of what is going on inside a computer, so who am I to even ask?

Darwin:
I *think* that the instructions for FMView installation date back to Win 3.x days! It's been a very long since I ran Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (ah, happy days)... I suspect that the installer will simply unpack all of the files into whatever folder it is run from, so if you have a folder C:.../my documents/downloads and you run it from there, it will install there. It seems to me that that is the way things worked in 16-bit versions of Windows.

Curt:
Yes, they do mention Win 95 more than once, and they still have a version for 16 bit.

One interesting feature, at least:

Q: Can I use FmView as stand alone program or add it to a File Manager or Explorer replacement?

A: FmView 2.0: You can simply copy the file fmvapp.dll and give it the new name fmvapp.exe.
-FMView
--- End quote ---

tomos:
... FMView 2.0 ... will allow you to preview all sorts of Office and other productivity apps' file contents, in addition to viewing most graphics formats, and is a bit cheaper at $16.50 vs. $19.95.-Darwin (May 05, 2007, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

even at that price you'ld probably be better off buying a file manager that does the job ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version