ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any freeware alternatives to Instant ThumbView?

(1/13) > >>

sri:
http://www.contextmagic.com/instant-viewer/

It is an instant image viewer that displays thumbnail (reduced picture), of selected file in a tooltip window next to the mouse pointer. It supports a lot of popular image file formats, including BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WMF, EMF, TIFF and so on.

As Instant ThumbView is a Windows shell extension, it is always ready and available to use. To bring it up, open any folder with image files in Windows Explorer, and then hover an image file with your mouse pointer. You will see the tooltip saying Extracting Thumbnail..., and then the image thumbnail should be displayed as shown on the screenshot.
--- End quote ---

I am not looking for a separate program, but rather a free app which adds the above functionality to the regular windows explorer. Any ideas?

Nighted:
I asked about this here ages ago and found nothing. No one here seemed to know of anything at that time either.

The author of Color Set used to have a freeware program that did this, but of course I can not find it anywhere on the net, and I spent a fair amount of time searching. Searching finds tons of hits, but mostly for web based script for performing thumbnail actions in browsers.

It's too bad there's no alternative to Instant ThumbView as it's not a reliable program. Definitely not worth the money.

crono:
Would a "Thumbnail-in-Contextmenu" Tool do th job?
If yes, try XN Shell View (http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/endownloadwin32.html)

Curt:
Is it the instant effect you are going for, meaning that you don't want to click the file, but only hover it? If so, you don't want to use XnView or BAxBEx or _, as they'll all tell you first to right-click the file. Explorer can do that a lot faster itself - just activate the file (in View > Details or what the English term might be). Is not this feature a part of XP, or did I get it from some third-party program, and have forgotten?

No, you must mean that it is the instant thumb at mouseover, you are going for?
I believe Instant ThumbView is one of a kind, though. Is it really unreliable, or just too expensive?
 :tellme:

Curt:
I asked about this here ages ago ..(...).. no alternative to Instant ThumbView as it's not a reliable program. Definitely not worth the money. -Nighted (May 04, 2007, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have been trying it for ten minutes only, but so far it has been working okay.
Do you remember what was wrong, Nighted, and how many ages ago it was - I mean, before or after last update Jan. 2006??
 :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version