ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help

<< < (50/112) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Just some information that I have decided to publish to let you all know what I have been doing the last week or so.

There has been no work on SnapSuite past Build 199 as far as functionality goes. What I mean by this is that I have not added any new major features. I have however, done the following.

* Added a tabbed interface!
* Moved images, should look more natural now
* All mini "programs" now have their own tab
* SnapSuite will include a basic web browser
* The GUI is (as of writing) about 1/2 its previous size. The final size is expected to be about 1/4 the size of build 199
I plan on adding more error messages (so you don't get this jumble of random commands from AHK when something goes wrong) but it may not be done, as the GUI redesign is quite a pain. I would post a screenshot but there is *nothing* interesting right now.

I hope to be done with the tabbed version in about a week.

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz:
Back again with a little more information for anyone whom is so inclined to read it...

I have been programming all day (including in class :-[) and have the whole thing almost done. Still, anything anyone wants to see added in, changed, reviewed, etc can feel free to contact me. Anyways, here is what I have accomplished (in addition to the above post)...

- Added all images in (some are not properly positioned yet, but it is almost done)
 - Added credit where credit is due for those of you that are active here on this topic/have helped me in any way (see your DonationCoder name in the About tab soon!)
 - Fixed code more (I seem to find a problem/something that could be better every time I get ready for a new update, but thats a good thing (right?))
 - Added some memory-saving features
 - SmartBrowse (integrated web browser) is now fully-functional (more on this below)
 - Looked over most features for bugs, everything looks good so far
 - Repositioned some things in the GUI (ex: buttons are now 8 pixels below one another, groupboxes are 5 pixels away from each other, etc)
 - Added bold text on the SystemCare "Execute Commands" button, as well as bold/underlined "thank you" note on About tab.

So, its not a lot, but progress is progress! :) (Speaking of progress, I need that loading bar too!)

Now, about this SmartBrowse...

How it started:
SpoilerI was fiddling around on the Autohotkey website (http://www.autohotkey.com/) and I am always on the hunt for new, cool things to add. I love adding new things :P. But I stumbed on a page giving instructions on adding a webpage into a GUI. I read through about 3 pages of information (and understood about 1/2 of it) before copy/pasting and editing to test out how this all worked.

About a week later, I redid about 75% of the code, and tested it out. 3 weeks later, I have a fully functional web browser that is now added to SnapSuite.

What it is:
SpoilerIt is totally functional (personal data handling capabilities are unknown as of this time, however you CAN login to websites, so cookies are working) EXTREMELY bare-bones web browser. It loads pages, goes back, forward, stops, reloads, goes home, and...thats about it. It closes too! ;D It is meant for the person who doesn't want any (and I mean ANY, even the navigation bar is hidden) bars, addons, or other crap in their way. It maximizes screen real-estate and gives a really interesting twist on a web browser in the days of litterally pages of addons and options to do "anything you want" on the web.

Summary of SmartBrowse:
It goes, it works, and thats all it was designed to do. It browses and does what you tell it, and thats all. It also does not have a tabbed interface, this may be added later, but I am not sure. :-\ (Personally, I still use Firefox, but I do open SmartBrowse myself if I am testing new code and need to check something on the web.)

As stated above- ideas/feedback welcome! :)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz:
A new update, but the end is coming closer. Only 25 more days until the final version! :)

So far, I have gotten basically everything done. I dumped the help file, and in its place, most tabs have information as to what that tab does, and how you can work with it.

The GUI looks really good and professional, and fits comfortably on 1024x768 (as does SmartBrowse).

The loading sequence is a lot smarter than it used to be, it shows the SnapSuite logo (from my sig) while loading (note: first time use will require you to click a couple option windows before the SnapSuite logo hides).

This also adds the new CCleaner 2.03, as well as the brand new (released yesterday!) JkDefrag version (3.32 I believe)

-----

So here it is:

SnapSuite 08 RC1 - all ready for general use.

You can install it and expect no problems (same with updating, get the new installer/updater below) and novice users should have no problems getting it up and running. This is basically a "final run" for bugs, errors, or other things.

You can download the installer below (see bottom of this post).

-----

If you experience problems with anything in the new version, let me know. XP users still will see a blank space for the MultiBar icon, and no one will see the SmartBrowse icon (as it does not exist yet).

Enjoy!!! :D

-Brandon

EDIT: It has come to my attention that some people may get an "EXE Corrupted" error message after GetRightToGo downloads SnapSuite.exe. If this occurs, you may either

1) Run the downloader again
or
2) Go to http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/SnapSuite/SnapSuite.exe, save this file to your desktop, go to C:\Program Files\CompuTech SnapSuite and replace the corrupted exe with the new SnapSuite.exe that you saved to your desktop.

I am sorry about this, and I have had it happen myself, so I know it is some strange bug in GetRightToGo. I will check for updates to that tomorrow.

wreckedcarzz:
Well, a few days have passed and not much changed. I do have a list of things I want to complete before my 12/29/07 @ 12:59:59PM deadline, however.

(Just an FYI, this is direct from my personal notes so I will elaborate on each one (to do item/information is separated by a dash) that needs info).

* clean up G controls, make shorter - make the commands linked to the buttons/checkboxes more logical (code based only, no end-user effect)
* make sure no unneeded controls are left - remove unneeded buttons/items from GUI (along with their commands)
* remove help button/control - remove the help button from the About tab
* get icon for SmartBrowse - pretty self-explanatory...
* add toolbar to smartbrowse - attempt to move the toolbar into the main GUI window of SmartBrowse
* fix smartbrowse enter key problem - the Enter key doesn't work in the SmartBrowse window :huh:
* combine update with welcome screen??? - just put the updater controls in the welcome screen
* add auto updater - attempt to auto-update check at every start
* add more descriptive information to user - self-explanatory...
* add automatic maintenance exes for scheduler usage - make EXEs that need no user input for use in Windows Scheduler
* make logo fade in/out - self-explanatory...
Some may notice that the auto-start with Windows has been pulled from my to-do list- it will not be a feature in SnapSuite (you can schedule it to auto start if you desire).

I have been working, lightly, on the code, but nothing major. I basically want to have the MultiBar icon XP (and previous) compatable, get an icon for SmartBrowse, and make the updater automatic. Those are my top priorities.

Ideas, suggestions...etc: PM me :)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz:
Its time for a change of pace- I am trying really hard to finish up SnapSuite, but other than that, I have been working a little on this tiny app. It lets you clean 5 points of your Vista PC (4 for XP users) in a couple seconds (in my experience). Run it, click it, and leave it. It even closes itself when its done :).

"CompuTech InstantSweep" cleans the Recycle Bin, Temp folder, Temporary internet files, the (Vista) Downloads folder, and your cookies. I want to add more folders to clean up, so if anyone could give me a couple to add I can put them in really quick.

This app adds a new ability for new users - if you don't know what something is (say, you don't know what a cookie is): click the text! Just click and learn!

You can download it below and give it a go; single EXE (no icon either, to keep the file size down).

Enjoy!

-Brandon

P.S.: I also have another little mini program like this that I will most likely combine together wih InstantSweep- keep watching this thread!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version