ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best Buy Geek Squad Confession (long and interesting)

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
The procedure taken to catch up on the computers was to take any computer currently in line to be fixed, or being dropped off to be fixed, and--if it had a software or operating system issue--wipe it, and reinstall Windows. Then, when the customer was given back his or her computer, an agent would inform them that due to an error, their data was lost. If they protested, the agent would be considerate, but in the end, if need be, point out #10 and their signature beneath it. For those that do not understand "wipe", it refers to completely deleting all data off the hard drive, and re-installing a fresh version of the Windows operating system. One supportive comment given by a manager, after a obligatory chuckle, was, "Oh well, they should have bought a data backup!" I never took part in this strategy, thankfully, as I was forced onto the floor to help people with their purchases after I was caught by a manager informing customers it would be better if they went to the Geek Squad a few towns over until we catch up.
Now, the difference between a Geek Squad agent and a hobo with a thumb drive is that the hobo with a thumb drive has the potential to efficiently fix your problem.

--- End quote ---

http://consumerist.com/consumer/the-rollercoaster-ride-of-pride%2C-shame%2C-and-morality/the-10-page-geek-squad-confession-+-stealing-customers-nudie-pics-was-an-easter-egg-hunt-257108.php

Darwin:
Nice...

f0dder:
Hm, not going to read the article, but the summary leaves one word: BASTARDS.

app103:
You mean to tell me this isn't the standard procedure everywhere?  :tellme:

nudone:
there are several large companies in the UK that are, or will be, implementing a similar service to the Geek Squad - one is even using the 'official' Geek Squad in their branding.

I was amazed to see the high prices they are quoting for a repair job (some do actually offer a no fix no fee solution).

I hope that they are all going to offer such a terrible service as mentioned in the quote above - that way the 'hobos with a thumbdrive' will still be a necessity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version