ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Changing properties of multiple files in WinXP?

(1/3) > >>

Mandork:
I've searched all over the web and tried a zillion different programs, but nothing quite seems to do what I want.

I have a bunch (hundreds) of files that I would like to add a "comment" to, in the summary tab of the file properties.  As far as I can tell, the only way to access this is to right click-> properties-> summary -> and type in the comment (see screenshot).  I have tried selecting several files at once, but when you do this, the summary tab is all greyed out. 

Does anyone know of a way to edit several of these at once, or at least more quickly?  Even if I could just tab to the same field in the next item on the list, like you can in Windows Media Player (for example), that would be helpful. 

I messed around with recording a macro in DoOver, but I don't know how (or if it's possible) to make it generic, so that I could just select a file and hit a hot key that would go straight to the comments field.

Kind of like tagging, only for all files, not just music or photos.

Any suggestions?

mouser:
there has to be a tool for this and it's a really nice question.
anyone?

justice:
If you can give me the keys you press I can whip up a quick autohotkey script that you can assign a hotkey to :)
alt-enter for the properties
then right 3x for the summary tab?
then 6x tab for the commentbox?

f0dder:
The stuff in the "Summary" pane is stored as a NTFS alternate file stream... I wonder if the format is public, and/or easy to reverse engineer. There might be some APIs or COM interface for manipulating this information as well.
* f0dder goes tinkering.
* f0dder is done tinkering:
--- ---C:\q>streams Eula.txt

Streams v1.56 - Enumerate alternate NTFS data streams
Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:\q\Eula.txt:
   :♣SummaryInformation:$DATA   144
   :{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:$DATA        0

And look and behold, this CodeProject article might just be of help.

justice:
Until there's a solution that allows you to edit multiple files at a time *winks to f0dder* you can use the following script I enclose below, including AHK source if you feel comfortable with that.

Select a file and press scroll Lock (next to pause/break and printscreen) it will navigate to the comment field.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version