ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review: Wubi - Painless, partion-free WindowsXP/Ubuntu dual booting

<< < (3/5) > >>

Darwin:
 :( I don't have enough free disk space to pull this off...  :D I wonder if the financial gateke.. er, my wife, would see this as a sufficient reason to lash out on a new hard drive and some RAM?! Could happen... Anything's possible, right?

Crap...

cthorpe:
Well, we won't tell her that RAM isn't an issue with Wubi  ;)

AEngineer:
For what it's worth I've tried wubi two ways - both with no success.  I used the only available, minefield, version for both.  First I tried the process of letting it download the ISO.  It downloaded, but then failed to install.  Then I downloaded the ISO separately, put it in the correct folder and tried to install.  No luck, it failed partway through.  When I checked the error code in a forum several others had had the problem which was vaguely attributed to disk fragmentation.  Since my disk isn't particularly fragmented I doubted that solution and sadly gave up.  I have gotten Ubuntu running under VMware though it's very jerky on my brand new Dell P390 - it looks like video driver problems.

Jim Mitchell

5/11/2007
I found the problem and was able to install it successfully.  Wubi needs a lot more space than I realized.  When I put it on a drive with 20G free it installed very nicely and works very well

cthorpe:
What was the error that you were getting?

AEngineer:
Here's the discussion of error-17
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-402638.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version