ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

To Vista or not to Vista that is the ?

<< < (9/12) > >>

Darwin:
Another PhD procrastinator! Woo hoo - the ranks are swelling... Welcome to the boards, Mandork. You've come to the right place to set aside all things PhD (I'm not doing one on the Middle/Upper Palaeolithic transition - ie the Neanderthal "problem", but from a bio-anth perspective).

legion1978:
Well.. i remember i didnt want to switch to XP.. though finally i did, mostly because of the app support, which will happen eventually with vista. i really hope that by the time im suppossed to do the switch, id be a happy linux user ;)
btw i did lay my hands on vista, it toook its time and reboots, although it was supposed to be installed from factory.. in the end,, i got pretty much what i already have: XP with nicer icons and "better" UI (vista bloatware)..
i really dont mind the technicall thing underneath,.. all i need to know its that it needs  at least 1gb ram.. thats enough for me t stay away from it.. now with all that activation stuff.. c`mon..

Darwin:
Well.. i remember i didnt want to switch to XP.. though finally i did, mostly because of the app support, which will happen eventually with vista.
--- End quote ---

I'm in the same boat. Funny (but completely understandable) how initially app support is dreadful and keeps people from upgrading, yet within 12-18 months everyone s clamouring to make the upgrade because 3rd party developers start dropping support for older Win flavours. No doubt this is a long way off for XP... one hopes!

EDIT: spelling correction  :-[

Subsailor:
Vista  :down:  This is my personal experience.
I've been a PC user/gamer for about 25 years counting my C64 days.

World of Warcraft + Ventrilo = Vista's audio layer pegging CPU at 100%
Oblivion = Performance decrease unless Aero is turned off (one of the big selling points for vista)
EAX (creative audio standard that's been used for years) is not supported in Vista. That super fantabulous X-Fi card with 5.1 and EAX effects? Forget it. You get stereo.
The really handy "Windows has blocked some startup programs, click here to view them" window ALWAYS appears when you boot up. Can't select the programs/icons as "I know stop telling me".
UAC windows pops up when running a utility program. Requests permission to run. I like that. But why do I have to do it every single time I run my disk defragmenter? What, there's no option to flag this as a "permission granted always" program?

For an OS that's been in development for 5 years I was underwhelmed. 3 of the biggest suppliers of hardware addons to PC's didn't/don't have satisfactory drivers for Vista. Creative, ATI, Nvidia. The performance is laggy. Aero is pretty but a resource hog. Irritating popups. Absolutely no reason to upgrade from Windows XP in the foreseeable future. It's unfortunate that I did last month to try it out.

For the record my system has the following: 2gigs ram, 3.4G P4, ATI X1900XTX, X-FI, dual 10k rpm Raptors, etc.

That's my 2 cents  :D

nite_monkey:
wow, I have vista duel booted on my computer, and I have a fairly crapy computer, and vista runs perfect on it, and for deleting files, I can delete then fast, just like with xp, though I kind of like vista better, because firefox is messed up on my xp right now, dunno why, but it works perfectly on vista. I haven't ran into many problems yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version