ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

To Vista or not to Vista that is the ?

<< < (3/12) > >>

zridling:
Another thing I should have mentioned in Vista's favor is the 20-25 minute one-reboot unattended installation. That's nice, too. However, I called Microsoft Support and asked about licensing when I upgrade my CPU chip later this year, and was told I'd need to buy another copy of Vista if I did. I escalated the call to a manager and was told the same thing. That's a real bummer. All that "one device" talk in the EULA is intentionally vague so you get different answers everywhere you google it.

gjehle:
my personal decision: "no"

thefritz_j:
My personal decision, Wait until SP1, and run WindowBlinds (paid the measly $20) on my Win XP to get bee-ewe-tiful next-gen User interface! :D

f0dder:
I called Microsoft Support and asked about licensing when I upgrade my CPU chip later this year, and was told I'd need to buy another copy of Vista if I did.
-zridling
--- End quote ---
Just the CPU? That single little item, and not the whole box? New Vista license for that? Christ.

Carol Haynes:
Another thing I should have mentioned in Vista's favor is the 20-25 minute one-reboot unattended installation. That's nice, too. However, I called Microsoft Support and asked about licensing when I upgrade my CPU chip later this year, and was told I'd need to buy another copy of Vista if I did. I escalated the call to a manager and was told the same thing. That's a real bummer. All that "one device" talk in the EULA is intentionally vague so you get different answers everywhere you google it.
-zridling (May 02, 2007, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm ... that is the defining moment for me with with Windows if that is to be future product policy.

Personally I think other major players such as AMD and Intel (not to mention software vendors like Adobe and Corel) should be wading in on this as this policy will seriously impact on their component sales to the enthusiast market and consequently software sales - who is going to buy a new Windows license just to install a $100 CPU ???

Madness.

What about component failure? Bad enough to have a system go down without MS looking for a pound of flesh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version