ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Portable mode?

(1/2) > >>

Liquidmantis:
I'm attempting to run FARR as a launcher for apps on a USB flash drive.  I'm already running it on my workstation and I'm trying to run two different configurations.  The local one will be for all my local stuff and the roaming copy will use a different hotkey and only search for apps on the USB drive and %startmenu%.  This way I can plug my USB drive into any system and FARR will autorun.

I thought I had this working, but it seems to be only temporary.  While both copies were running I had set different options for the portable copy but the next time I insert the flash drive the USB copy of FARR has the same options as my local copy.  How is it finding the other INI file?

Is there an option I'm missing to force portability?

mouser:
there is no special option BUT you might want to try version 2, which preserves the %startmenu% type directory patterns and does not save the resolved versions, so its better suited for portability; farr v2 also knows how to support directories that are relative to the farr path.

i'm sending you forum message with farr v2 download link.

ps.
that doesn't explain the phenomena you described, which sounds like basically you copied over your configuration file with your workstation one (the configuration is stored in the program directory in FindAndRunRobot.ini so don't copy over that file from workstation to usb).

Liquidmantis:
Oh, disregard my PM reply then.  I am running v2.  But yeah, I did copy the entire folder contents over.  I assumed that once I made the changes to the USB copy that its local INI would get the current change.  However, now I just realized that FARR stores the INI in the Application Data tree and not local (I'm on Vista).  I copied that to the directory on the USB drive and restarted FARR but it's still reading the one in Application Data.  Do I need to use a commandline switch or something?

mouser:
youll need to exit far and then copy over the config file and then restart.
btw im just adding code recently to handle vista user access permissions so you may have to delete any FARR ini file in the VirtualStore directory of vista before it will actually see and read the new ini file in the application directory.  (the newer versions will know how to handle this all automatically and should be released soon.)

Liquidmantis:
That didn't get it either.  I killed all FARRs, deleted the FARR directory in the VirtualStore, then launched the FARR on the USB drive and even with the INI in the same folder as the application it still created a new INI in the VirtualStore.

Huzzah Vista!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version