ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

More offensive — Resource bloat or Feature bloat?

<< < (5/6) > >>

zridling:
Ah, thank you! Seems every boss I've ever had was a PHB, except for the cool folks at Barnes & Noble.

cthorpe:
Well, my primary PC was top of the line back with the 866mhz Pentium 3 was the top Intel chip around.  With that being the case, I look for lean programs.  I run a lot of older versions of programs because updating them would make them unusable on my computer.  I'm all for more features if they are done in a responsible manner that doesn't cause the program to grind to a halt.  Unfortunately, too many programs try to load every bit of themselves into memory when you first run them.  I would love to see programs have a low resource mode that only loads the main functions, and lets you turn the other functions on and off as needed.  Likewise, I would love to have a means to limit programs to a certain amount of resources.  If a program lists a specific configuration as its minimum requirements, it would be great to be able to tell the program that it only has that amount to work with.  Sure it might make that program slower, but it would allow for more multitasking.

Carl

Grorgy:
I just received 3 (yep 3,  count em, talking of bloat) about new 'features' to raxco's perfect disk defreagging thing.  It now includes disk cleaning, registry cleaning windows tweaking all sorts of stuff which frankly i dont want.  I wanted a good defragging thing, and the one suppllied with windows had completely stopped working on both my desk and laptop.  I spose if you were just setting it all up an all in one program like that might be good but usually 1 bit of them seems to work and work well and the rest, well who knows. 

Keep the bits seperate for those of us who want seperate bits, or maybe go down the firefox path and have a perfectly usable product as is but that can be tweaked to your preferences through add on, extensions whatever IF you want to
Just my 1/2 cents worh, needed a rant lol

dhuser:
Resource bloat is the wrost, your computer slows down, and then the Low Virtual Memory message appears. The programs I think of, with this is: some Roxio programs, and old versions of Norton Antivirus.

I usually don't care about the numerous features... All I want is that those features just have some purpose.

dhuser

GHammer:
I nominate Nero for the winner of this pageant.
I was looking for something to burn image files in Vista and found that Nero 6 did not like Vista.
Even installing the 'Essentials' got me Nero Home and the lovely Nero Scout.

Anyone know a burner that will handle NRGs?
Or something that will convrt them to ISO, reliably?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version