ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu Linux vs. Windows Vista

<< < (10/13) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Dell seems to like UBUNTU ...

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6180419.html?tag=nl.e589

cthorpe:
I know that it's something of a fopah to say, but I actually like XP.  Before XP, I actually liked 2000.  Before 2000, I actually liked 98... well, maybe that's exaggerating, but I never had any major problems with 98.

Vista, Ubuntu, and OSX don't offer anything that is compelling enough to make me switch from XP for my day o day computing tasks.  I don't care to jump through all the hoops that a linux system requires, Vista seems like little more than eye candy, and I am turned off by the Apple mentality.

Carl

Renegade:
I am turned off by the Apple mentality
--- End quote ---

There is a good deal of zealotry in different "OS Camps", and it really is annoying. "Macs never get viruses..." etc. etc. Most of it is rarely true. Especially now with Vista as MS has addressed a lot of issues (I only mention that because MS seems the be the one that people like to beat up on).

Different OSes have different strengths and weaknesses. The Windows weakness is the number of users that it has - enough to attract virus writers for profit. That's a major problem.

I think you've got the right attitude there Carl - don't offer anything that is compelling enough to make me switch from XP for my day o day computing tasks
--- End quote ---

If what you have works for what you need, then that's good enough.

"Better is the enemy of good." :)

cthorpe:
Well.....  :-[ I'm posting this message from Ubuntu....  Ain't that a kick in the pants?

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8326.msg59787

zridling:
[cthorpe]: ...I actually like XP.

Me, too. Although Vista is growing on me after three full months. All new software for me must have Linux versions now or I won't purchase it from this point forward. I've got one foot in the Linux boat, the other on the Vista shore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version