ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu Linux vs. Windows Vista

<< < (8/13) > >>

gjehle:
@gjehle - You *can* sell GPL software for profit. While it isn't popular, it is done. Search eBay for audio editors and you'll see Audacity being sold there.-Renegade (April 28, 2007, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

just admit that you're running out of stuff to blame on <X>
i'm not talking about the fishy practice of selling re-branded audacity copies on ebay..
i'm talking of the copyright holders selling their own proprietary software.
not the GPL part.

Here's a quick one? When was the last time that anyone ran World of Warcraft or Grand Theft Auto on Ubuntu? The gamers drive a lot of the computing industry, e.g. Hardware production, etc. Again, Ubuntu is lacking software options and is pretty much out of the market for games. OSX has a enough time there. -Renegade (April 28, 2007, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

fyi, you can run WOW on linux without much difficulty, two years ago.
not native, but it works. and it runs fast.

and if you really start to get bitchy about this...
wine/winex/cedega/xen/vmware ... there's plenty of virtual machines and emulators...
yes, you read correctly, there's a vmware version for linux.. you can install windows on it..

and back to your mass market BS
who holds the major share if it comes to webservers and web tech backends in general ? - yes open source.
there are people getting payed to setup/maintain that stuff ... you can make money with it, it's called service and support.

come on... just give up :p

last but not least, some _personal_ thoughts about linux
keep the mass market stupid users away, they are too annoying to deal with because lots of them expect everything to be like windows, expect the same kind of support you can get from MS just for free, etc etc.
i'd be more than happy with linux not making prime time. honestly.

i don't care about how many people use linux or will use linux in the future, right now it's already more than enough of them.
ubuntu has no commercial interests, they are giving it away for free, you can even order batches of CDs online that get shipped to you for free, as in beer.
there is not need for a "mass market" or "prime time"

prime time... mass market... geee, capitalism...
maybe the whole mindset behind open source doesn't go that well with ... capitalism.. ever thought of it?
and yet.. it works, superbly, for millions of people.

and i think this might be one of the reasons so many folks are "offended" by linux.
> look at those hippies, sharing everything with no money to gain! they are stupid!
> oh wait! they have a huge community and userbase, and the development is going on, stuff is getting better
> omgomg they are stealing minimal amounts of marketshare from us, they are a threat! go kill em!

f0dder:
Linux isn't ready for prime time - and that's just the way it is.

And it's a real bloody shame. While the NT kernel is clearly superior to both BSD and Linux, I'm sick and tired of the way Microsoft are running things. I still have a thin hope that Vista will nail the coffin, but people are lemmings.

The only real alternative to Windows as of now is Apple OS X, but that's really a matter of plague versus cholera - Apple is, if possible, even more hooked on the idea of DRM and whatnot than Microsoft is.

Closed source software under linux is a real mess. It's fscking messy to do because it's not a coherent and standardized platform, and you have to re-invent the wheel over and over and over again if you cannot use GPL code (which, duh, you generally can't for closed-source software). Like it or not, but opensource isn't what innovates the world and delivers the paycheck.

GPL is an atrocity. LGPL is bearable. BSD license is nice. Something like the LZMA license is imho how it really should be done:
SPECIAL EXCEPTION: Igor Pavlov, as the author of this code, expressly permits you to statically or dynamically link your code (or bind by name) to the files from LZMA SDK without subjecting your linked code to the terms of the CPL or GNU LGPL. Any modifications or additions to files from LZMA SDK, however, are subject to the GNU LGPL or CPL terms.
-http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html
--- End quote ---
- keep the original code free, but don't be viral.

When was the last time that anyone ran World of Warcraft or Grand Theft Auto on Ubuntu?
-Renegade
--- End quote ---
Both should run pretty well with the (commercial :)) Cedega, although I wouldn't risk The Warden getting me banned from WOW (fascist blizzard fscks).

If people don't like linux getting compared to windows, perhaps people should try and stop selling linux as a viable alternative. It's not.

Armando:
ubuntu has no commercial interests

[...]

prime time... mass market... geee, capitalism...
-gjehle (April 29, 2007, 02:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

:huh:

the NT kernel is clearly superior to both BSD and Linux,
[...]
GPL is an atrocity
[...]
If people don't like linux getting compared to windows, perhaps people should try and stop selling linux as a viable alternative. It's not.

-f0dder (April 29, 2007, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

:huh:

How? Considering which parameters ?

References from real peer reviewed studies would help...
Or, at least, lets define the boundaries of the comparison or comments.

Aren't these debates a bit too... abstract, subjective and general ?

(Sincerely... Maybe I just don't get it)

DrJtoo:
I know this is my first post in this forum, but this issue "Ubuntu" Vs "Vista" is something that has really stung me into action.

You see, what happened to me is that on the first day that "Vista" was available to the public I went to my nearest computer store and purchased a "Vista" upgrade worth AU$300+. That day, I went home immediately and began the install on my home made Pentium processor computer. The install took me 8 hours. Yes, that is right, 8 hours and still even after that time I did not have an operative way to support my dual flat screen monitors, and it did not allow me to use my security software as it is not supported my Vista.

Now that was all OK with me to start with. So I fired up Vista and began to use it normally. Within the first 3 hours Vista displayed a message "Your installation of Windows is not valid. Please visit here to validate your copy of Windows". So dutifully I did so. The automated method of validating the software didn't work. So I was sent to a page outlining my support options. I chose to talk to a Microsoft support person. Over the next hour and a half on the phone he tried everything that was on his screen about how to fix the problem. In the end he told me to completely uninstall Vista and reinstall it which I did over the next 24 hours.

After reinstalling and then beginning to run Vista the blasted message came up again. I called the support person and quoted my case number. A different person was assigned to my case. She tried everything that was on her screen. She was a little more persistent. We spent three hours trying to overcome this problem. In the end she said, "Sir, as I have completed the fixes for this problem and you are still receiving those messages, your software must not be possible to validate. Go back to the store you purchased it from and obtain a valid copy." I went to my software store. They would not exchange or even give my money back.

So here I am with a copy of Vista for which I have paid good money and it won't operate on my hardware. As soon as the "not valid" message appears the system begins shutting down and does not allow any new processes to be started.

I obtained a copy of Ubuntu. Admittedly it did take two hours to download. But then it took me three hours to install it. I had issues on how to get my dual monitors operating, and how to connect to my wi-fi network. I solved those issues on the Ubuntu forums, which, guys, you should have seen how quickly I had my answers and workarounds.

I now run Ubuntu.

Armando:

I now run Ubuntu.
-DrJtoo (April 29, 2007, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

How dare you ! your only two valid options should've been OSX and OSX.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version