ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu Linux vs. Windows Vista

<< < (6/13) > >>

gjehle:
BTW - Windows NT systems [2000/2003/XP] are UNIX because they are POSIX compliant - I use UNIX in the common manner of "not Windows" though
--- End quote ---

aside from all you said, that makes me cringe.

i wont argue the posix compliancy, but that doesn't _make_ them UNIX.
for that it would have to fulfill SUS

dunno why i'm even bothering.....

Renegade:
Renegade, you make the classic — and most persuasive — argument in favor of Windows. I've said (and I keep a log) of the very few Windows programs left that's keeping me from going Linux 24/7. ...
-zridling (April 28, 2007, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK - here's the killer...

The platform isn't important. The number of developers is important.

More people developing for your platform means more people buy it. Platforms are all about compatibility and offerings. This is where MS really shines. And they shine with commercial reasons. That's not an opinion (as some people suggest) but it's a matter of fact. Those of us that have been around for a few years know this already.

I am NOT arguing about Windows vs. Ubuntu here. I am arguing that Ubuntu is not "Prime Time" ready because of software support. This isn't really something that's debatable. I'll let Google be my witness there.

While Ubuntu may be ready, the software support isn't there. That's the deal killer.

Personally, I wish that BSD was Prime Time ready. It's not. That's life. We work with what we have. :S

zridling:
I think something that appears to have impressed the article's author is what a lot people are finding out with Ubuntu — it's the first time you install a Linux distro and everything works — wireless, video, printing, everything. Proprietary codecs, drivers, and other restricted software is two clicks away. Rereading it, the author seems new to Ubuntu, but this seems to have made a impression.

Dirhael:
Claiming that Linux is not ready for prime time in general is insanity, because it is all a matter of how you use your computer. It's not ready for everyone sure, but for many others it really is and have been for some time. Oh and regarding your claims that the GPL somehow prevents developers from creating commercial software for the platform, well my Linux version of Zend Studio would seem to indicate otherwise.

Carol Haynes:
No axe to grind because I don't use l Linux but if you buy hardware with Linus in mind (eg. WiFi and Printers that are supported well) and you only do typical PC type things then Linux is fine for prime time. Having said that Windows 3.1 was probably fine for that too - and even MSDOS in its day.

The big probs only arise with unsupported hardware and if you have very specific software needs (eg. games and esp. professional level Graphics/Audio Visual). For Office type stuff, which I would guess is over 75% of the market, there is no problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version