ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu Linux vs. Windows Vista

<< < (3/13) > >>

f0dder:
Humm, it does look like there's only OEM versions of 64-bit XP available, but you can get an OEM copy by buying it with a harddrive, mouse, whatever... at least in .dk. And the 64-bit version of XP is for x64, x86-64, amd64, EM64t, or whatever you want to call it - that is, 64-bit x86 processors.

For Vista, don't you have to buy a separate license if you want the 64-bit version? I don't think one license would cover both 32- and 64-bit versions, considering it's two separate products in the stores I've seen (same cost though).

Carol Haynes:
Vista licensing (non-OEM) covers both 32 and 64 bit in the same license (AIUI you have to request the 64 bit disc though by contacting MS). You can only install one copy though (so you can't install both versions).

gjehle:
people should stop evangelizing and start using different kinds of operating systems for what they are good for and needed.
please, stop comparing :(

app103:
Most importantly though, having software handled by a package manager in that way also means that keeping your OS and 3rd party apps up to date is a breeze as both are handled by the same thing ensuring that you never have to hunt around various websites to get the latest versions (imagine Windows Update, only here it handles everything you've ever installed on your system).
-Dirhael (April 27, 2007, 05:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does anybody remember Big Fix back in the days when you could subscribe to the Tucows Fixlets?

I loved it!  :-*

Kept it in your tray and it beeped whenever Tucows posted a newer version of anything you had installed...or MS released an update...or your antivirus dats were outdated...or you needed to defrag...or a bunch of other stuff.

I really miss the Tucows fixlets...was the main reason for installing Big Fix. When they got rid of that, they destroyed their program, in my opinion. And nothing has come along to take its place that is just as good or better, since.  :(

db90h:
Not really relevant to a semi-objective comparison between OSes, but...

In the future, there will be OS religions. Their mandates will include evangelism in order to save the souls of the non-believers. This evangelism will yield a world war. After all, God forbid we have true freedom to make our own personal choices. For as you know, choosing something is a threat to all those who didn't make the same choice.

After the war, the ruling OS religion will divide into rigid factions who battle amongst themselves until yet another world war finally kills everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version