ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Quality Comparison: 8 x freeware PDF Readers / Viewers

<< < (12/22) > >>

cybernetnews:
Foxit just released version 2.1 the other day as well, and has several new features.

Darwin:
Damn! I just lost a huge post - you guys are probably lucky!

urlwolf - So Darwin, is nuance v.4 rock solid? Any random crashes? They don't seem to have a trial version...
--- End quote ---

In my usage yes, rock solid. No issues at all with two different installations. The no trial is a pain, but they do have a 30 day no hassle return policy that I have used two or three times without any drama whatsoever. Now, they do lose marks for support, because they have a paid model but two things to note - I've had to contact support because of a conflict b/w PDF Converter 3 (previous version) and WindowBlinds 5) and have received it without being charged and two the software is solid enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

NOTE WELL: If you take advantage of one of the numerous offers for OmniPage Pro 16 (or 15 if you can find it on sale) you get PDF Converter Pro 4 with it included. The online sale price is often $99 - in fact I got an e-mail offering it to me at that price this morning (I can send you the link as it's supposed to be for returning customers but it takes you to a vanilla purchase link that contains no information about me!). The deal that I was offered today includes PaperPort 11 Standard and something called MediaRecovery (or some such thing). If you go through the process to buy it and then cancel at the last minute, they'll often take another $10 off AND this is still under the umbrella of the 30 day return policy... Depends on how much OCR power you need and if you want the additional features in PDF Converter Professional... 

Another big player from the past, that I don't hear much about anymore, is Jaws PDF.

EDIT: Darwin lets this post incubate for six months before returning to fix the html tag...

brett:
dealbreakers for PDF-exchage:
no keyboard shorcuts
no way to undo a highlight
No way to remove toolbars

These are minor things, I bet it takes less that 24h dev. time to fix them... are they responsive to user requests in their forums?
-urlwolf (August 28, 2007, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi urlwolf,

I use PDF exchange daily now.
No way to undo a highlight - when cursor is over highlighted text, Right click delete, (does not delete text, just the markup)
No way to remove toolbars - View > Toolbars > all there
No Keyboard shortcuts - Not sure what you mean, Alt key for all menus is there or did you mean customisable shortcuts.

Brett

urlwolf:
Hi Brett,
thanks (1) taken care of.
I mean the file edit ... toolbar. I don't think you can hide that one... and the bottom one neither.
(3) I like to do say 'u' for underlining, etc. Not all functions have shortcuts, right?

Darwin:
The BitsduJour offer is now live - $34.99 for the Standard version of PDF Converter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version